thirty-seven

Taylor and Cam got home before everyone else. They trudged upstairs with the baby.

"Alfred built her crib. We can put her in there, tonight." Cam smiled at Taylor and kissed her forehead. Eve was asleep and not waking up anytime soon. Taylor got in the shower and Cam followed behind.
~
"Bruce what the hell was that?!" Diana shouted. They were in the cave recovering from the incident. It was the batfamily and Diana.

"What do you mean?"

"Why was your daughter like that?"

"I don't need to tell you anything."

"I'm entitled to know."

"Oh like you tell me everything."

"I do!"

"What about taking Camilla for an abortion?! You knew about her and Taylor before anyone else! Should I continue?!" Everyone was looking at them. Diane looked disgusted with him.

"You're a piece of shit, Bruce," she said while walking out.

"Is anyone going to check on, Cam?"

"She's fine. Taylor's with her," Bruce said throwing a rag on the counter top while exiting the room. Everyone looked at each other and let the silence fill the air.

"Did we witness what Cam had to endure?" Cassie asked to try and break the silence.

"What she went through was much worse," Dick said wrapping a bandage on one of his arms. "He was going easy on her this time."

"Why is he like this with her? Why her out of everyone here?" Stephanie asked looking at everyone to see if one person can answer. "No one?"

"What makes you drawn to her?" Dick asked looking up.

"Her charm, her poise, I mean what can I say?" Steph said.

"The fact that she's crazy. Like him." Everyone looked at Dick. Jason scoffed at that.

"Your joking, right?"

"Think about it. Who is the one girl who takes things too far? She fucked her teacher and tried to kill herself. Cam is batshit crazy and the Joker feels it in her. Bruce told me when they first met she tried to step him up. She wasn't scared of him for a few minutes. Who is crazy enough to do it?" They all looked at each other and didn't know what to say.

"We shouldn't talk about this," Cassie said pushing past Dick and running up the stairs. When they heard the door slam Dick continued the conversation.

"He pushed her to her limits and she hasn't broke. Well to him she hasn't."

"Your crazy," Tim said blowing him off.

"But I'm right. None of you are objecting to anything I'm saying. And it's because it's true."

"Dick, your the one that's crazy," Tim said walking past him and putting his hand on his shoulder.
~
The next morning Cam woke to an empty bed. She looked around and didn't see Taylor. She got up and checked Eve's room and saw her feeding the baby.

"Hey," she said opening the door. "When did you get up?"

"Are you going to tell me?" Taylor asked her.

"Tell you what?"

"Are you seriously going to act as if last night didn't happen? You think I'm going to ignore that?! You put my-our child in danger. And how the hell does the Joker know you?"

"I'm going to explain everything but you can't interrupt and you have to promise to not run away or scream at me or-,"

"Cam! Just tell me." Cam breathed out and stood up. She went over to the door and closed it.
~
"That was something else," Taylor said with her eyes wide.

"Are you okay?"

"I feel better knowing that I know my father-in-law runs around in a bat costume at night protecting Gotham," Taylor said smiling. Cam smiled at her and kissed her.

"I took an oath to protect you and I will uphold it till the day I die. I swear from this point on I will keep you out of harm's way. I promise you," Cam said holdings Taylor's face. Taylor's smile turned into tears.

"I believe you," she whispered. Cam held her for a moment longer before letting go.

"I have to go talk to Bruce," she said walking out. When she got downstairs she saw the family in the living room. She heard her name pop up and immediately hid.

"She's crazy and you all don't believe me," she heard Dick say. She furrowed her eyebrows wanting to protest but thought best to stay quiet.

"You're being dramatic," Cassie said.

"You asked and I'm giving an answer. There is no way Joker likes her based off of looks. He couldn' even see her under the mask. It's the fact that she is a fucking psycho," Dick said. Everyone became silent and looked at the doorway where Cam was. Dick turned around saw her. "Cam..."

"Don't." She ran away down to the cave where Bruce was.

"Bruce, we need to talk." He turned and saw tears in his eyes and instantly became concerned.

"About what? Did someone hurt you?"

"No this is another issue. But what I wanted to discuss was that I told Taylor. Everything."

"Everything, everything?"

"Yes, everything. She's know what we do and who you are. I had to."

"I thought you would have. You are about to get married."

"But that's not what I came here to discuss."

"Okay, what is it?"

"I want to kill the Joker."