Chapter 16

I sit up abruptly, but my mom walks in laying me back down. "Mom, am I okay?"

"Yes Sweetie."

I wake up the next day and get texts form Jonah.

Jonah: Lily?
Jonah: Where have you been?
Jonah: Are you okay?

Once I get my phone back I get a facetime from Jonah. I answer.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." I say with a sigh lingering in my voice.

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes, I'm okay Jonah." I say refusing eye contact with Jonah through the phone.

"It's great to hear your voice again. Your mom wouldn't let me visit."

"Yea, I'm sorry you had to go through that, I can't. . .I can't do this anymore, Jonah."

"Do what anymore?"

"This. No more phonecalls, no more texts, no more emails. Jonah this is just too hard. My mom was right. Life was better before you got here."

"Better for who?" I look away. "Don't do this Lily." I stay silent. "My life is better with you in it."

"But mine isn't."

"You know...I lied before." I turn and look into Jonah's eyes. "I do feel sorry for you." I hang up as I feel my heart shatter. A single tear leaves my eye. I wipe my eyes and stand.

A few weeks later.

"Tomorrow, I am going back to the hospital

"Tomorrow, I am going back to the hospital." My mother says.

"Find me a good babysitter?"

"Well, I was thinking. You don't need one. You've made one mistake already and I don't see you doing it again."

"Yea, I won't..."

The rest of the night I spend listening to music and looking thorugh my laptop. I get an email from Jonah. I delete it and sigh turning up my music trying to drown out his memory. After an hour or two I hear noises coming from outside. I look outside to see all the boys jumping into a tour bus. I go back to my emails and look at the email Jonah had sent me.

Jonah

You know, I really wish you'd talk to me. I will never meet anyone like you Lily. You look at the city like it's the most beautiful thing in the world. You smile like there's nothing wrong everyday. You laugh like everything is okay all the time. I'm trying not to love you and I'm failing.

This is my last email. The boys and I are starting our European Tour. We'll be gone for the next 8 to 9 months. We have to leave at night so we can be in France at night so we can sleep. I told the boys how I really felt about you. They said that you're great. You're sweet, kind, and brave. I was brave with you in my life...

I spend the next few days doing nothing, except for thinking about how much I miss Jonah. I get a call from the hospital in Washington and I answer immediately.

"Hello?"

"Yes, Lilian Everett?"

"Yes."

"Hello, this is Dr. Williams from the New York Williams Hospital. I was your physiscian while you were here in New York. I'm here to follow up on you results. Your sickenss was caused by a viral infection. You seem to have a very low immune system."

"I have SCID."

"SCID? Well why would you think that?"

"I've had it all my life."

"I-I don't know. If you had that severe of Immuno Deficiency, you would've suffered more than a minor flu." I feel my heart drop. I'm not sick. I'm Not Sick.