Chapter 8

"She didn't need any help, how could you do this? How could you let him into this house?" I wake to yelling from my mother. I put on my robe and slowly walk down the stairs.

"I just wanted what was best for her. Something that would make her happy."

"She was happy and how do you know what is best for my child? She could've died because you let that boy into this house."

"She needed-"

"It is not up to you to decide what she needs!"

"I was just trying to help."

"Help? She went outside because of him! Because of you." My mom takes a deep breath "I'm sorry, Mike, but you need to leave."

"Please mom I swear it won't happen again."

"I know it won't. Mike your fired you need to leave now." Mike gathers his things from the kitchen before coming back over to me and giving me a hug. 

"I'm sorry, Lily." He whispers. 

"I'm sorry..." I say back. 

Mike leaves adn I feel something in the pit of my stomach. It slowly comes up then all at once. I run over to the sink and throw up. My mom holds back my hair as I do. Once I'm done I feel light-headed and I can barely see straight. My mom leads me to my room and lays me down in my bed. She gets thermometer to check my temperature.

"104 degrees, you're burning up..." She says. "Just stay in bed." She says pushing my hair back and leaving. After a while I sit up adn look out my window. Jonah's room was empty. I get up adn slowly walk over to the window. Jonah walks in and looks over to me. I smile adn give a small wave. He does the same. He opens his window only to realize that I can't open mine. He holds up a finger telling me to wait. He runs out his room and returns with a piece of paper. He writes something down and puts it against the window.

Are you okay?

I nod

Phone?

I shake my head.

Are you sure you're okay?

I smile and nod.

I'm really sorry...

I smile and mouth 'I'm not.' Jonah smiles widely. He sits in his window with his legs dangling over the edge. He just sits and smiles at me. I smile back enjoying his company.

The next day...

My mom had hired a new nurse. This one was older, stricter, and nothing like Mike. She was old and gave terrible advice...

"My name is Ms. Yatzee. You may address me as Nurse Olivia if you would like. Words spoken to the air tend to go unheard, but words put to paper do not." I stare at her with a blank expression before walking away to my room. After a few hours I decide to go onto my laptop. Only to see a sticky note stuck to the top.

Clean room
Clear mind

I roll my eyes and ball up the piece of paper. This is so stupid. I miss Mike...

 I miss Mike