Chapter 10

I'm leaving. I know I'm sick, but I want to go explore. Even if I could die...

So, I pack a few days worth of clothes in a backpack. Then I write a note to my mom...

Dear mom,

The first thing is that I love you. You already know that, but I may not get the chance to tell you again. You are smart, strong, kind, and selfless. Because of you I have survived this long and gotten to know my small part of the world. But it's not enough.

I'm not doing this just because of Jonah. Or maybe I am. I found this new part of myself when I met him, and the new part doesn't know how to stay quiet and just observe. Remember when we read "The Little Prince" together? I was so sad when he died in the end. I didn't understand how he could choose death just so he could get back with his rose.

I think I understand it now. I'm not choosing death.  It's that if I don't go I won't really know what it means to be alive.

I love you, 

            Lily

I walk cautiously to the door that separates me and the outside. I click the button that opens it and take my first step outside. Well....second. I smile as I look around at all the beautiful trees and the beautiful sky. I slowly walk to Jonah's driveway. I take out my phone and text him.

Jonah

Lily: Come outside

A few minutes later Jonah walks out the door. I see his friends standing behind him. Jack gives me a welcoming smile. I smile back. Jonah's eyes widen and he quickly walks up to me. He grabs my shoulders roughly.

"What the hell are you doing out here g-" I grab Jonah's face and connect my lips with his and he kisses back, but only for a second. He disconnects his lips from mine and looks at me. "What are you doing? Trying to kill yourself??" Jonah asks in a low tone. 

"I've been doing gene therapy." I say quickly.

"What?" Jonah asks in disbelief.

"You know how I said my kind of SCID was uncommon." Jonah nods still gripping onto my shoulder. "Well now I'm common. I didn't want to tell you and get your hope up. Or my hopes up. I can go anywhere I want."

"You're not sick?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you." Jonah lets go of my shoulders and runs his hand through his hair.

"No...No I don't believe you." Jonah tries to push me back, but I stop.

"Jonah when have I ever lied to you?"

"Never..."

"So why would I start now?" Jonah looks into my eyes and I could a small smile tugging at his lips. He looks back at his friends and smiles. They smile and nod.

"What if its too good to be true?"

"Then I don't know. But I need to know if I'm sick or not. I'll only know if I'm outside." Jonah looks at the ground then back at me before a wide smile forms on his face. "Will you come with me?"

"Come with you where?"

"New York."

"New York?"

"New York, New York." Jonah laughs.

"How?"

"I bought tickets online. Credit cards are surprisingly easy to get."

"Are you serious?" I nod with a wide smile. "Fine. Wait here." Jonah runs back inside pushing all of his friends out the way. They laugh and look back at me. Jack walks down the stair and over to me.

"Sorry, I haven't properly introduced myself yet. I'm Jack Avery, nice to meet you, Lily." I smile.

"I'm Lily Everett. Nice to meet you too Jack." Jack smiles and gives a small laugh.

"So where are you and Jonah running off to?"

"New York. Wanna come?" I offer.

"No, this you and Jonah's trip. I don't want to interfere."

"Jack, I don't care. You and your friends can come too. You might have to get your own tickets, but you can come. I just want to be anywhere, but here."

Jonah runs back out and comes to my side. Jack smiles at me and Jonah glances down at me. "What are you two talking about?"

"Can we come?" Jack asks. Jonah looks at me. I smile and nod. Jonah looks at his friends who were still eagerly waiting at the door

"You guys have three minutes to get back out here!" They all smile widely before running inside. Jack smiles at Jonah and I before running inside with them. This is going to be a fun trip.