Chapter 5

Lily

When will I be able to go out there? Will I actually die if I go outside? Am I really sick? Maybe I'm not sick.

My thoughts are interupted when Mike walks in.

"Okay, listen to me. You stay on your side of the room, he stays on his side. I've already told him the same."

"What are you talking about?" I say smiing.

"He's here."

"Who's here?" Mike smiles widely causing me to do the same.

"Jonah." I gasp and my mouth hangs open. I was at a loss for words. 

"I- He- Wha- H- Why?"

"Because I'm terrible at saying no. And because you deserve this."

"Thank you." 

"Come on get up! Is that what you're going to wear?"

Jonah

I was looking out the big glass windows that were in the place of walls. I can finally see Lily in person. I turn around and there she was. She was hiding behind the corner where the stairs were placed. I give a small wave and she does the same.

"Just going to stay over there?" Lily asks with a shaky voice.

"Mike says I have to stay as far away as possible..."

"Oh..." Lily says looking down. "You're standing kinda still." She says looking back at me.

"Maybe you should come closer?" I say with a small smile.

"Yea..." Lily walks in and sits in a small chair that was seated beside a couch. I was messing with my bracelet as I stared at Lily. She was beautiful and I didn't know what to say "You're really different then what I expected you to be..." She says scanning my body up and down.

"Yea...hotter right?" I say laughing along with Lily "I get it you're nervous!"

"Yea, I am..."Lily says with a laugh in her voice.

"Well then...so am I..." I look around the room out of nervousness. I turn back to the windowed wall. Outside were beautiful plants "I like this room."

"Yea, my mom made it to make me feel like I was outside."

"Does it help?"

"Yea, sorta. Most days, I have a good imagination." I could see that Lily and I had gotten closer and closer. There was only a short stand disconnecting us both.

"Have you ever left this house?"

"Uh n-no..." Lily looks down and her cheeks turn pink.

"Where would you go? If you could leave?"

"The city." I saw a small smile form on her lips.

"Why?"

"It's filled with beautiful lights, wonderful places, crowded streets, people...there's one in almost every state and I've never seen a glimpse of one. There's San Diego, Fresno, Sacramento, San Jose, Santa Monica, Malibu, Pasadena, San Francisco, Bakersfield! And those are the ones only in California. Los Angeles is 10.8 miles away from here and I've never seen it." Lily's smile grows bigger and bigger with every word. She's so fond of the city; I love seeing her eyes sparkle.

"Wow, you really like these places."

"Yea, but I've always wanted to go to New York."

"Why?"

"During the day there are loud bustling streets. Full of people of all races; any background, any story, but at night...nothing. It's quiet, peaceful..." Lily whispers staring into my eyes. She's beautiful.