Chapter 7 - Behind The Bins (e)

Chapter 7

Behind The Bins

 At the end of the day my legs were trembling. The memory of Chris and his actions were fresh in my brain. While contemplating if I should go by foot my phone vibrated in my bag.

Dad Calling

'Hello?'

'I'm picking you up. It's Alisha. I'm literally at the gate.' His voice was trembling. His tear-struck face returned to my mind as I saw his black car pull up. Quickly putting my bag in the back seats, I sat down next to him and stared ahead of me as our car speed out of the school premises.

'What happened?' I asked as soon as we were out of the gates.

'Alisha... Let's just go there. Your mother or Aunt Eve will explain.' He said, making no eye contact with me whatsoever. I nodded, knowing that he was feeling down as well.

We got to the dreary building and I let out a deep sigh. Praying that it was good news, I took a step towards the  main door. Walking to down the corridor I came face to face with the number 14 that was inscribed on the door. I placed my hands on the word but couldn't find the will to give it a force. 

Familiar faces and memories sped into my mind as I thought back to two years ago.

Maria aged 14

‘Hi dad.’ I sniffled.

‘Honey... I’m picking you up. We need to get to the hospital.’ His sad voice contrasted deeply to the kids behind me, who were laughing or messing around with their friends.

 My dad’s car pulled up and I ran towards the door.

‘What happened?’ I said, not completely sure if I wanted to know the answer.

‘Let’s get to the hospital first, you’re mother will tell you.’ My dad was never good at breaking news to anyone.

Alan, my older brother, had been involved with a fire. He worked in a small café and there was a big fire. He was there when it happened. Burns and injuries had covered most of his body. His condition was weak and fragile and most doctors said he wouldn't make it. But I knew he would. He was strong and would hold on.

I knew it.

We got to the hospital building and I crossed my fingers, hoping that my brother was awake and would be hugging me in about two minutes.

I reached the door and looked through the small glass bit and saw my mother whose hand was desperately clutching Alan.