Chapter 1 - Scars and Bruises (e)

Chapter 1

Scars and Bruises

'No Harry NO! Please...' My voice trailed off at the end as he continued to vigorously slap me. Tears rolled down in small droplets and fell to the ground. Who am I? Well, I am Maria Cliff. I was 13 when I was first hit by him... That person who I hate so much. That one person who made my life hell. That one person who put me at the bottom of the food chain at school. The one person that I hate so much, that my blood boils just hearing his name.

Harry Styles

'Shut up you bitch!' Harry screamed and he kicked my stomach. I groaned in agony and clutched my stomach, hoping the pain would end. Harry kneeled down and raised his balled fist, which soon came into contact with my cheek. My head flew back at the impact and my hand soon grasped my cheek. I quickly noticed some substance was on my hand. It was red. Blood.

My cheek was bleeding.

'See you tonight whore.' Harry said in a sickly sweet tone making shivers run down my spine. His statement left me in deep though and confusion as I picked myself off the ground and looked at my watch. 4:26. My parents would usually come home at around five. Meaning I didn't have much time to go back and clean myself up.

I ran home in a record breaking time (especially, considering my new formed bruises) . My house. It was that massive thing. You wouldn't be able to miss it. My parents, Nick and Gabrielle Cliff, were entrepreneurs. This meant that my house was filled with many expensive things that I could not give two shits about.

I barged through the door and dashed up the spiral staircase and lunged to my bedroom. I was an only child which meant I was the only person in the house, at many times (excluding the gardener and our maid).

Opening one of the cupboards I reached in and took out a plaster. The blood had stopped gushing. I placed it on my cheek, carefully before turning the tap on and starting to strip. I looked in front of the mirror and there stood a girl. A girl. She was not proud of herself. Or her looks. Or her brains. That girl was me. A useless, spineless, disgusting weasel. If you are called that many times, then you begin to accept it. I stepped into the hot water and tried to let it drown away my sorrows.

It wasn't just Harry. He had four other friends with him. Louis, he had straight brown hair with a fringe, which was swept to one side. The next was Zayn, he had olive toned skin, black hair which was in a quiff. The next was Liam, his light brown hair was sometimes straight and sometimes curly. And the last one was Niall, he had blonde hair and was originally from Ireland but moved here two years ago. Those five were extremely popular, leaving everyone to follow in their footsteps. I cannot even walk to a classroom or a bathroom without someone saying a comment on how retarded or ugly I am.

And the sad thing is, me and Harry weren't always like this.

Harry and Maria aged 12

'You're crazy Ri.' Harry said to me.

'I hate when you call me that!' I whined, praying that he would never call me that.

'You're really cute.' He whispered. I blushed and looked down. Whenever I was sad or nervous I would play with the back of my earring, which is exactly what I was doing now. Harry had recently asked me out but before that we were the best of friends. We would do absolutely everything together.

End of Flashback

What happened since then? Harry used to make me feel as if I'm the most beautiful girl on the planet. Now... I don't even feel like staying on the planet. I wouldn't take my own life of. But I had thought of it many times.

Before WE were best friends but now we are enemies. I hate him, he DETESTS me.

Harry and Maria aged 13

It was a month after my birthday. Harry had been ignoring me for a week. I knew something was wrong and I wanted to find out what. I walked up to his locker to see if he was alright. But he kept on ignoring me.

He went out of the school gates and I followed him. Then his right hand came in contact with my cheek. I looked up in shock to what Harry had done.

'We are over.' He spat. Tears rolled down my face.

I don't even know what I had done. I did not speak to Harry and he didn't even try to speak to me. Once I decided that I had enough. I at least deserve to know what I had done to make him hate me so much. So I gingerly walked up to him at the end of the day. He was alone. There weren't those other guys with him or those orange, bleached hair, cake face sluts with him either. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat to get attention.

'What Cliffe?' He spat. Harry wasn't Harry. He was different. His eyes had bags under them and in addition to that his eyes looked more aggressive. They used to be like an ocean now his eyes were more fierce.

Less Harry.

'What did I do?' I said as calmly as I could manage. He grabbed my wrist tightly. He dragged me to the alleyway that I normally passed while walking home. I never dared to step foot in here. It was a dark and dingy. Rubbish was scattered everywhere.

'What did I do?' I repeated. I looked into his eyes. They softened but then turned into a glare again. His fist was now balled up and he began to punch me. I fell to the ground and Harry kicked my gut. I groaned as he did that. He repeatedly did that as I began to cry. He spat in my face and ran away. I didn't do anything. Why? Because I couldn't hurt the one I love.

End of flashback

I told my mother but as their close relationship to the Styles' was more important to their own daughter, they told me to 'sweep it under the rug'. To be honest, I think they actually forgot about this, a few months after I confessed.

I heard the door close and two voices. I realized that I was still in the shower. Turning the tap off, I stepped outside the shower. CRAP! I was freezing. I quickly grabbed my towel and wrapped it round me. I started to dry myself off and peeled away the plaster. I put some makeup to cover up the gnarly bruise that had garnished my cheek. I made sure it wasn't too much but still enough to cover the purple discolouration.

The door shut, echoing the empty household and making me jump. I could hear my parents mumble things to each other before calling out for me.

'Maria!' My mother said from downstairs 'honey, go get dressed nicely, the Styles' are coming over for dinner.' Mother said to me.

Oh, just what I need...