Chapter 3 - What Have I Ever Done? (e)

Chapter 3

What Have I Ever Done?

Maria's POV

I tucked a strand of blonde hair behind my ear and walked towards the school gate. School. Academically I wasn't that bad but socially... Yeah, that sucked. I wasn't fine, I didn't have any friends, or anybody to talk to. If you hadn't guessed already, I was the outcast. People would walk past and just laugh and whisper to their friends the newest gossip about me.

I saw the main slut, Amy, breathing down Harry's neck just outside the gate. I rolled my eyes and walked past them.

'Wow. And I thought you couldn't get any uglier.' Someone spat. I looked up, expecting the curly headed boy. But it wasn't Harry. It was Chris.

Chris never liked me and I never really knew why. I remember him in year four, that was when he first starting picking on me.

Flashback

'Well, if it isn't Marry-a.' Chris said, pronouncing my name in a stupid and unfamiliar manner. 'That's really stupid. I mean who would wan't to marry a toad?' Chris asked bitterly.

'Shut up Chris.' I mumbled and looked around for someone who could help me.

'Why?' He said smirking and took a step towards me. I took a step back.

'Please go away.' I said, my voice shaking.

He took a step towards me. I took a step back.

'Give me one good reason.' Chris said.

He took another step towards me. I took another step back. I realised I had reached the wall.

'Please...' My voice barely audible. Chris was dangerously close to me.

'Oi! Leave her alone!' A voice said behind Chris. It was Harry. I smiled in gratitude and ran towards him. He stepped in front of me, acting as my shield. Harry and me were inseparable. Together and always.

Now

Together and always. That's what I used to think. I used to have Harry to save me. I almost laughed at the thought of Harry ever talking to me in a civil way.

'But I have to say...' Chris said, bringing me out of my daydream, as he roughly dragged his finger down my cheek. 'That you would be more pretty...' His hand went down my neck. 'If you dropped a couple layers of clothing for me...' He was almost at my chest when I took a step back and walked past him.