Epilogue

Epilogue

Nick smoothed his tie with the palm of his left hand as he pushed back his tears. Two funerals in two days. He took a deep breath and reminded himself to have courage as he moved his right leg forward, bumping into a smaller person in the process. The female stumbled slightly but soon regained her stable position as she looked up to see her almost ex-husband. The divorce would be final in two weeks but Nick and Gabrielle had already sold off their old house and had already started to unpack in their new separate mansions.

'Gabrielle.'

'Nicholas.'

The two greeted each other with a curt nod. Their marriage had ended due to the fact that the middle-aged people couldn't look at each other without seeing a feature that their late daughter had inherited. She had Nick's nose but also had Gabrielle's cheekbones and jawline. Nick, who had always been closer to Maria, could see a younger version of Gabrielle in Maria and wasn't able to cope with the fact that his little girl was now gone and could never come back. He had lay awake every night thinking about the 'What if I had done this...' or 'Why didn't I do this...' as he stared at the picture of the Maria and Alan, which he kept next to his bed, crying his whole soul out.

Gabrielle, although was ever-so-slightly colder to Maria then Nick, still loved her daughter. She had taken a different approach to her child's death. She started to drink. The first drink was taken straight after she received the news. It was only half a bottle of whiskey at first. But soon it turned to a whole bottle, this then changed to two bottles, then three, then four...

Nick grabbed the smaller hand and placed it into his, knowing he couldn't face this day. Gabrielle was silently thankful as she was still hungover from last night, as she had drank her entire body weight in beer and tequila. Walking forwards, the two people took in the bright sunny day, knowing this day was better than the weather at Alisha's funeral.

They thought they were the first people there, seeing as it was THEIR daughter, but were surprised to see a small head of curly hair sat on one of the seats looking straight ahead. Immediately, the surprised feeling vanished and turned into a sense of expectancy. The two adults in the room were quick to jump at the cough coming from the left side of the room. A tall man, dressed in black, looked at them sympathetically as he emerged through the door. Nick and Gabrielle walked to him and walked into the room, where Maria lay in her coffin.

Meanwhile, the rest of the boys were on the way to the church. They were dressed in their best suits as they all came with their families.

Liam was silent. His thoughts were racing around his mind as he started to think about the times when they were all in Year Two and all laughing. Then he thought about the harsh and sudden change that occurred in all of them in secondary school. All of them were interested in popularity and getting the female attention they wanted and they all liked how leaving out Maria achieved this. This was the first time he had been out of his house for something other than school. Liam had knuckled down, his grades were improving now. He spent his free time revising and studying. His nose was constantly in a book and he had no further interest in going out. His hand gripped his thighs as he blinked away his tears. There was no use now was there? Maria was already gone and there was nothing he could do about it.

Zayn, like Gabrielle, had started to drink. His mother usually found him in the bathroom throwing up the contents of the previous night. He would always be out at night, despite his families pleas. His hand would be constantly around a bottle of alcohol as his other hand would be around some girls waist. Her name was unimportant, only the fact that they would be having sex was Zayn's goal. He smiled as he realised that the first time in a week, Zayn had not gone out yesterday evening as he knew today was a great deal. He wanted to pay respects to his sister, even though the story had been completely different for the past three years. Even though she couldn't hear it or feel it, the dark skinned boy wanted Maria to know how sorry Zayn truly was.