Chapter 5 - Why Her? (e)

Chapter 5

Why Her?

Maria's POV

'Hello.' I asked into the phone, disturbed by the fact that there was an 'Unknown Number' calling me. Actually, to be honest with you, I was more confused at the fact there was anybody calling me.

'Hi Maria, it's your Aunt Eve. I got a new phone.' Her sad and frail voice sounded nothing like her usual tone.

 Aunt Eve was my father's younger sister. I adored her in everyway possible and admired her for being able to speak up and be confident about her and her beliefs. This was also represented in her parenting style. Her daughter, Alisha, was the best cousin anybody could ask for. She was my best friend and my sister. Once I told her about my problems with a certain curly haired boy, she didn't react like my parents. She quietened down and listened to me. She let me put my head on her lap and cry for hours on end.

The funny thing was that, even when we were younger, she never liked Harry. She said he wasn't 'good' and that she 'had a bad vibe from him'. Aunt Eve's sniffle from the other side of the phone snapped me away from my thoughts and made me concentrate about the situation at hand.

'Is everything okay?' I wasn't used to this.

'Al.... Just... Can you come to the hospital?' She said.

'Be there in ten.' I said before hanging up. Remembering that they were coming round today, my mind started to wander. What if something happened. My brain was instantly filled with questions and worst case scenarios as I trudged my way to the unfortunately familiar building. Reaching there I caught view of my Uncle John, Alisha's father.

'What happened?' I asked. Turning around, his soft hazels eyes looked at me apologetically. 'What happened?' I asked again, needing to know the answer.

That's when I noticed his arm. His forearm was wrapped in a white cast. You could see the large gashes that covered the top part of his arm that was half covered by his shirt. His appearance looked sullen to match the rest of him. His frown lines looked as if they were permanently stuck there, the dark circles underneath his eyes looked as if he had not slept for weeks on end. His shoulders drooped which majorly contrasted to his normal self.

'What happened?' My eyes were practically bulging out of my sockets.

'Come inside.' The older man said as he ushered me into the building.  'We were in a car accident. A drunk driver ran a red light and hit Alisha's side. Me and Eve weren't affected that badly. However, Alisha....' His voice broke off as he stopped to wipe his nose and quickly rush away his tears. 'She's in intensive care. Your parents are here. Let's go inside.' He said as we neared her hospital room.

My fathers hand was on my Aunt Eve's shoulder and my mother was visible down the corridor filling her plastic cup up with water. Aunt Eve looked as terrible as she sounded. Her head slung down and her eyes never met mine as I called out to her. A small wet tear ran down her cheek before she buried her head in my fathers neck.

'Are you Alisha's family?' A doctor asked as he exited the room where Alisha was. We all nodded, slightly dazed.

'Alsiha has had many injuries. Her lungs are failing. Her brain has severe damage. And she has also slipped into a coma.' Aunt Eve gripped my father even tighter. Uncle John 's heavy breathing could be heard from a mile away as he slid down onto the brown seat beneath him. I couldn't see anything, everything was just a blur.

'I need to take a walk.' I said. My mother opened her mouth to say something but decided against it as she closed it again. She nodded as I spun around and walked down the long corridor.

The air had dropped a couple of degrees as I walked along the pathway.

Why?

Why her?

Someone up there really had it in for me.

I mean, first Harry.

Then my friends.

Now Alisha.

The only person I could trust.

My only friend.

Was currently laying lifelessly on a bed.

Why?

I was passing houses, streets and I could feel someones breath on my neck. I knew who it was. Harry.

He tapped my shoulder and I whipped around. I couldn't be bothered with him today. I couldn't give a fuck what he did.

'What are you waiting for? Are you going to beat me up or not?' I questioned him in my most demanding voice. He looked really confused and I could see him trying to figure out what the hell was going on. I mumbled 'pathetic' before turning around and walking away.

Two strong hands grabbed mine and pinned me against an alleyway wall. The usual Harry was back  as he balled his fists before punching my stomach. Falling to the floor, I didn't show any reaction. I simply, closed my eyes. He began slapping me. I didn't say or do anything.

He just left me there.

I just layed there. I didn't do or say anything to say or stop him.

As per usual.

___________________________________________________________________________

 That's Alisha on the side by the way. Shes played as Nina Dobrev

5 chapters down.

VOTE

FAN

COMMENT