Chapter Thirty-Two

I chose a grey bardot ribbed off shoulder crop top and high waist boyfriend ripped jeans for my today's outfit. Nang makuntento sa sariling itsura ay umalis na ako sa harap ng salamin at lumabas ng kwarto.

Mama Nova is with Phoenix at the garden. Doon ako dumiretso para makapagpaalam na aalis.

My grandmother was drinking tea. Pinapanood niya si Phoenix na abala sa coloring book. Her eyes raised as if sensing a new presence.

"Oh, you're all dressed up. Saan ka pupunta?" malumanay na tanong ni Mama Nova.

"Sa Arena po. Manonood ng basketball game ni Xavi. It's their first game," I dutifully answered.

Recognition smoothed over her face. She nodded and smiled at me. "Seems like you and your cousin are really close."

"Yup. We're best of friends." I sheepishly grinned.

"Are you two always together?" she softly asked.

I nodded. "Since we were kids po."

"Wavie, wook!" Phoenix lifted the coloring book to show me his latest work.

I indulgently looked at his art work. "Wow. You color so well, Phoen!"

It was an illustration of a cute turtle on a beach. Walang kahit anong lampas at tama ang mga kulay na ginamit niya. 

He grinned proudly. I ruffled his hair and kissed him on the cheek. Hinalikan ko rin si Mama Nova sa pisngi at nagpaalam.

The Serrano's except Laurene were already at the venue. I greeted Tita Savion and Tito Zion with a kiss on their cheeks before heading to the vacant seat beside Hyon. 

Hinanap agad ng mga mata ko si Xavi sa court. I can see clearly from our seats since it's the first row behind their team's bench side. He's wearing long sleeves top that was folded up to his elbows just like the other players. 

The teams were warming up like what players usually do before a basketball game starts. After dribbling a ball, he took a shot from the three-point line. The ball smoothly passed through the ring. 

He started to jog to chase after the ball. His head turned to our direction. He didn't hide his smile when our eyes locked. I secretly smiled back.

The whole arena shook from the loud cheers when the buzzer blared signalling the beginning of the game. Both teams briefly formed a huddle before lining up on each side for the roll call.

"Go Xavi!" I cheered with Hyon when Xavi's name was called. He's part of the starters, positioned as the team's shooting guard.

Kahit na first game pa lang ay mainit na ang laban. Both teams want to start the game with a win. Hyon and I sometimes join the crowd in shouting our university's chant.

I enjoy watching Xavi play. He plays passionately. His eyes fill with delight whenever he's in the court. It's obvious that he enjoys what he's doing.

Pakiramdam ko ay mauubos ang boses ko kapag nakakahawak si Xavi ng bola. Lalo na at madalas pumapasok ang bawat tira niya ng bola. Pati si Tita Savion ay napapasigaw para lang i-cheer ang kanyang anak.

Our team won. l lcheered and clapped my hand so hard that I swear it's already turning red. 

Kung nandito si Alana ay paniguradong aasarin ako nun. Siya palagi ang kasama ko sa bawat game ni Xavi. She always mocks me for acting like a proud girlfriend, well technically, I am but nobody knows that except for the three of us.

I bit my lip to keep myself from grinning too hard as I watched Xavi and his team line up raising their fist as they were filmed by the camera.

Tiningnan ko ang malaking screen sa taas. Xavi looked hot in his white and blue jersey. Matapos kantahin ang university hymn ay nag-umpisa ng umalis ang players sa court.