Chapter Twenty-Seven

I played with the strings of the paper bag sitting on my lap. I scanned the spacious living room. It's not my first time to see it, but I eyed every ornament with forced interest.

The walls were egg white and the high ceiling has a lavish chandelier hanging at the center.

Their family portrait was displayed on the wall. The ladies were seated on a fancy stool with velvet seats while the men were standing tall behind them. They looked like they're having a professional shoot for some magazine cover.

It was an all black formal motif. It heightened their dangerous and wicked aura. They look like a family who could easily spread evil and havoc if they wanted to.

Father and son, Rush De la Fuente and Chaos De la Fuente was wearing a playful evil smirk that mirrored each other. They both looked ridiculously handsome in their black suits.

Alana and her mother—Maxwell Allen De la Fuente, looked gorgeous in their black gowns. Sweet smiles were painted across their face and yet they were secretly scheming of ruining someone's life.

I averted my eyes from the family portrait as soon as I heard foot steps coming from the staircase. My shoulders sagged when I only saw Tita Maxie. A small frown was placated on her lips. I stood up from the couch as she walked towards me.

"Alana said she still doesn't want to see you." Her forehead creased. "Did you two fight?"

I shook my head and weakly smiled. "Just a small misunderstanding, Tita."

"Well, I know my daughter loves you. She'll come around. You just need to give her time." Tita Maxie smiled. 

I let out a heavy sigh before thanking her and saying goodbye. Xavi's car is still parked near the driveway. I opened the car door and slipped in. I instantly felt his worried eyes on me.

"Everything okay?"

I solemnly shook my head. "Ayaw niya akong makausap."

Xavi sighed. "I will talk to her."

"X, baka lalo lang siyang magalit." Kinagat ko ang labi.

He shook his head and flashed me a smile that could make me melt. He curled the strands of hair behind my ear and leaned in to plant a kiss on my forehead. Napapikit ako nang maramdaman ang mainit na pagpisil sa puso ko.

Xavi slightly moved away to properly look at me. He gently cupped my cheek, stroking it with his thumb. "I'll handle it. So, don't worry okay?"

"Okay." Sinabayan ko 'yon ng tango.

"Alright. I'll drive you home. You need to get some rest." Binitawan niya na ang kamay ko at inayos ang aking seat belt.

I smiled at him and nodded. Umayos siya ng upo at kinabit din ang sariling seatbelt bago pinaandar ang makina ng sasakyan.

Ngayong araw lang kami nakarating ng Pilipinas mula sa bakasyon sa Netherlands. Nagpumilit ako na sa bahay nila Alana dumiretso dahil hindi ito sumagot sa mga text at tawag ko. She didn't even greet me during Christmas and the New Year. 

Xavi initially wanted me to head home and rest, but I didn't want to, kaya pinilit niyang samahan ako kahit alam kong pagod siya sa long flight. Pagkahatid niya sa akin ay hindi na kami muling nagkita para sa araw na 'yon.

Dinner time, my mother discussed about my birthday plans for tomorrow. Kahit na eighteenth birthday ko ay wala ako planong magpa-party, kaya ni-suggest ni Mommy na family dinner na lamang ang gawin. 

Sa pagod para sa araw na ito ay maaga akong natulog. Hindi ko na nagawang mag text kay Xavi ng goodnight. 

I was pulled from my sleep because of the loud ringing of my phone. My eyes were still closed as I reached for it at my bedside drawer. The glare of my phone had me squinting as I read the caller ID flashing on the screen.