Chapter Twenty-Six || Into The Woods

"She's changed. You can see it in her eyes, feel it in her touch, and hear it in her tone. She's not the same and she's never coming back".

- Kiana Azizian

Weeks had passed since Jim Gordon was taken to Blackgate Penitentiary

Weeks had passed since Jim Gordon was taken to Blackgate Penitentiary. He had been condemned to spend forty years in there, which was the maximum sentence.

"Dent, they got him in general population now, F Wing," Harvey shouted into the phone. Charlotte and Ed were making their way to the second floor of the precinct when they heard Bullock's furiously shouts. "You know what that means? Everyone we've ever put away is in there!"

The two forensic scientists stopped by the stairs to hear the conversation. If what Harvey was saying was correct and Gordon really had been transferred to F Wing, then Gordon was screwed. The F Wing of Blackgate was also known as 'World's End' because that was exactly what it was for most of the prisoners, the end.

Ed peeked at the angry Detective from under the wooden handrail trying to look inconspicuous. Charlotte found this funny but she did her best not to laugh and alert Bullock of their presence.

 Charlotte found this funny but she did her best not to laugh and alert Bullock of their presence

"Stop saying that!" Bullock continued shouting. "There's always something you can do. A retrial. Or have him transferred to another prison, for God's sake. You know what, just keep doing what you always do, which is nothing!"

Bullock end the call and the two forensic scientists proceeded on their way to the second floor. However, they were stopped by Bullock before they could reach the safety of the last floor.

"Ed, Charlotte," the Detective called. When Charlotte and Ed looked back at him, he motioned for them to approach him. They did as Bullock asked and joined him just as he let out a frustrated sigh. "He's wasting away in that place while the real killer's out there somewhere, eating donuts and getting laid".

The couple tried not to snicker at how true that last statement was. They had indeed eaten donuts that morning after another night of sex.

"The real killer?" Ed asked as if he didn't know what Bullock was talking about. "The fingerprints on the murder weapon..."