Chapter Twenty-Five || Murder And Date Night

"One day, when I wake up at 3 am, unable to sleep. I will look next to me, and you will be there. Sleeping peacefully beside me and suddenly, the world won't seem so lonely".

 Sleeping peacefully beside me and suddenly, the world won't seem so lonely"

There was a knock on Officer Pinkney's door. In the living room, Pinkney cursed not wanting to get too far from the TV. He was watching an important baseball game and his team was already loosing. He ran to the door and opened it. His eyes almost jumped out of their sockets when he saw Charlotte Bateman standing there.

"Hello, Officer Pinkney" Charlotte greeted with a smile. "I'm so sorry to bother you at this time. Can I come in?"

"Y-Yeah, sure" Pinkney stuttered. He opened the door all the way and walked back to the living room with Charlotte following after him.

Ed who was hidden from Pinkney's view approached the door, which Charlotte left ajar so he could walk in. The male forensic scientist peeked inside and stepped into the hall. From there he could hear everything they were saying. Once he reached the door at the end of the hall, he peeked inside careful not to be seen by the officer.

"I was just watching a baseball game," Pinkney told her, pointing at the small TV. Then he noticed the other team had scored again and cursed under his breath before turning back to Charlotte. "What's this about?"

"Oh, Detective Gordon will explain," she lied taking a step towards him. "He just asked me to come in first while he and Ed grabbed some things from the car".

"Okay," he nodded. Then Pinkney looked down at his hands deep in thought. He wanted to ask her if she and Ed were really dating, but he was afraid she would think that as inappropriate. However, it was the only way he could know for sure. "Listen, there have been some rumors around the precinct, saying there's something going on between you and Nygma. I thought that maybe it was just a rumor going on between our co-workers".

"Rumors" Charlotte chuckled and then shook her head. "Just bored officers with nothing else to do".

"That's what I thought," Pinkney said with relief. "I really hoped it wasn't true".

"Why?" Charlotte asked taking another step towards him.

"Well, er, I-I-I like you" Pinkney finally confessed to her. Ed gripped the crowbar tightly in his hand, doing his best not to jump out of his hiding spot and kill the strike force officer. "I was the one to sent you those flowers on Valentine's day and I admit I was a bit hesitant to tell you, especially after I heard the rumors of you and the forensic guy".

"I can tell you, officer Pinkney, that there's nothing to be hesitant about," Charlotte told him with a flirtatious smile. She gave one last step towards Pinkney. Their chests were touching and she could fell how fast his heart was beating. She knew Ed would walk in before the officer would actually kiss her.

"Hey, Pinkney? What do you call a tavern of blackbirds?" Ed's voice suddenly asked from behind her. Pinkney looked up confused out of his mind and Charlotte took a few steps aside, knowing what would happen next.