Chapter Eight || Lattes and broken hearts

"The saddest truth is realizing you have fallen madly in love with what can never be."

- Michael Faudet

Charlotte was drinking coffee by the coffee machine when Lee joined her

Charlotte was drinking coffee by the coffee machine when Lee joined her. The medical examiner greeted the blonde and made one coffee for herself.

"Are you feeling better today?" Lee asked sending Charlotte a kind smile.

"Yeah, sure" Charlotte took a sip out of her coffee and then stared down at the black liquid inside the cup.

"Have you decided to tell Ed already?"

The forensic scientist looked up at Lee and shook her head slightly. "I decided it's better not to tell him anything. He seems to be happy with Kristen and I don't want to cause any trouble between them".

Lee put a hand on her shoulder and smiled. "I understand your decision. You can now learn how to let go of Ed. Maybe someone else from the GCPD will spark your interest or maybe a certain strike force officer".

Charlotte was confused out of her mind. She had heard of the Strike Force Captain Barnes had assembled but why had Lee brought them up in that particular conversation. Charlotte could see the look of mischief in the Doctor's eyes.

"What do you mean?"

"Oh, don't think I didn't notice the way officer Pinkney looked at you when he arrived at the police station for the first time," Lee told her and Charlotte felt her face heat up. "He almost tripped on the stairs while looking back at you".

"No way," Charlotte shook her head in disbelief. She avoided looking in the direction of the second floor of the GCPD where the Strike Force was currently preparing for a mission.

Lee laughed in amusement. "See? You have been so busy looking at Ed that you haven't tried considering other options. Think about it. Look just how cute he is," Lee said while looking up at the second floor.

"Lee!" Charlotte hit the brunette's arm and she laughed. Charlotte just shook her head at her.

"Well, I'm going to take a coffee to Kristen and then we will just talk for a while," Lee told her while preparing another coffee. "Wanna come? It could be a way to put how you feel about Ed and Kristen behind you and move on".

Charlotte would not put anything behind and move on. Maybe Pinkney was actually cute and maybe being with other people would be good for her. But that was the problem. She didn't want to forget Ed. However, she still accepted Lee's offer to be polite and they both made their way to the records annex.

"Hey, Kristen. We've brought you some coffee," Lee told the woman inside who was putting some files in the drawers. Kristen thanked Lee and sent a quick look towards Charlotte, who tried really hard to smile back at her.

"So, any news on Tom Dougherty?" Lee asked Kristen curiously.

Charlotte looked away from the two women. She wished they didn't need to talk about that particular subject.