Chapter Twenty-One || Fool

Now that Mr

Now that Mr. Freeze's case was closed, there was a breath of fresh air in the precinct. Even though it ended tragically, with the death of himself and his wife, everyone was still relieved no other cop was going to get frozen. Victor thought that by freezing Nora and then bringing her back would cure her of her disease. And it would have worked if only she hadn't traded the formulas. In the end, they both died because he couldn't bear living a life without her. Jim Gordon couldn't express the panic he felt when Victor took Lee, who was carrying their unborn child, with him. It had been her choice to stand beside Nora, but he still felt anxious the entire time.

Things were pretty calm at the GCPD after that. The only arrests made were the usual gang members, thieves, and perverts. Jim, who was at the moment with any major case, sat at his desk waiting for his partner, Harvey Bullock, to arrive.

He heard someone clear their throat behind him and looked back to see Lee. The first thing he thought was she was there to continue their discussion about what really happened with Galavan. She had stopped believing he was innocent and demanded the truth about what happened that night. He didn't want to tell her the truth mostly because she was pregnant and he didn't want to stress her with his problems.

"Lee. Good morning," Jim greeted, hoping she wouldn't be mad at him.

"Hey," she greeted back. She still seemed to be mad at him and that left him feeling awkward, so he tried to approach the matter softly.

"Look, what we talked about after Arkham-"

"It's not why I'm here," Lee interrupted and extended a few papers in his direction. "I wanted you to take a look at these. It's Kristen Kringle's final paychecks".

A crease formed in Jim's forehead as he looked from the paycheck back up to Lee. "Her paychecks? How'd you get these?"

"I went to Human Resources to get her new address, and they gave them to me," the brunette explained. "She never picked them up. They don't know where she is. She never cashed them, never left a forwarding address".

Jim had to admit that was weird but he remembered Lee had told him Kristen was dating officer Tom Dougherty. "That's odd. Well, Dougherty has money. Maybe they're traveling".

"I don't like it. She said that Dougherty hurt her before," Lee told him with deep concern in her eyes.

"Really?" Jim asked in surprise. "Have you talked to Ed about it?"

Lee shook her head. "No".

"Maybe he's heard from her," Jim suggested. They had been together after all.

"I didn't feel like it was right to worry him. I just want to know that she's all right," Lee explained with a frown.

"What if you asked Charlotte? She and Kristen could have been friends," Jim suggested trying his best to be helpful. He didn't want any harm to come to Kristen Kringle.