Chapter Sixteen || Murderous temptation

"Am I the only one who thinks that I'm not that person I see in the mirror?

I've always the feeling that the person in the mirror a complete stranger is. Like I don't feel myself in that person.

Who am I?"

- Unknown

Ed opened the door to the cupboard

Ed opened the door to the cupboard. It was small, but it had enough space to have all of his clothes inside. His clothes were at the end of the room and his ties were neatly hung on the right. In the middle of the cupboard was Mr. Leonard. Galavan's lackey was still tied to the chair with a burlap sack over his head.

"My mother always said a party was not a party without entertainment," Oswald told us. Mr. Leonard let out a few muffled noise in indignation.

"I doubt this is what she meant," Charlotte muttered to herself.

Oswald brought the knife up and was going to stab the man in the stomach, but he was stopped by Ed. "Wait!"

Oswald huffed and glared at him with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"You can't stab him in the stomach already, he will bleed out too quickly," Ed stated as a matter of fact.

Cobblepot didn't saw any problem in Leonard bleeding out quickly. "And?"

"And that is not what we want," Ed told him. "Don't you want to make him suffer a little bit first?"

Oswald rolled his eyes at the man in front of him. He had already noticed Ed was a bit of a know-it-all and he found that extremely annoying. "Don't you dare think you are better at this than me".

"But I'm a forensic scientist, believe me, I know," Ed insisted with a mischievous smirk on his lips.

"I don't care what you are, Ed!" Oswald spat at him. "Now let me kill-"

Before he could finish his sentence, Mr. Leonard let out a groan of pain. Both Ed and Oswald immediately looked at him to see what had happened and were left with their mouths open in shock.

The man's wine-colored suit had now a dark red stain spreading across his left shoulder. A simple pocket knife was stabbed in the middle of the red stain. They followed the hand that still held the knife and saw Charlotte's messy figure with her eyes fixated on the man. A faraway look in her eyes like she wasn't all there anymore.

The man screamed in pain, but luckily the tape around his mouth prevented the neighbors from hearing him

Charlotte mercilessly took out the knife from Leonard's shoulder, ignoring his high-pitched screams, and looked at Oswald and Ed.

"Which one of you is next?" She asked with an emotionless tone in her voice.

Oswald got over the initial shock and proceeded to stab the man in the chest. Leonard screamed and screamed but it didn't matter. No one could save him. Oswald didn't waste any time and continued to stab Leonard in the chest over and over again. All his frustration and his anger were evident in each stab. Leonard screamed more, but after the sixth stab he stopped and his head slumped down on his shoulders.

"He's dead, Mr. Penguin," Edward stated with a smile and then smiled down at Charlotte too. He knew Charlotte had killed a man before but she was so terrified that he never thought she would kill again so easily.

However, it had not been easy for Charlotte to kill yet another person. She didn't know what came over her but she suddenly felt so angry and her father's knife was still in the pocket of her jacket like it always was. She wasn't able to resist the murderous temptation standing there right in front of her.

"I should probably go," Charlotte suddenly said. Her voice trembled a little bit and she did her best to avoid looking at Leonard's dead body.

Ed could see she was not well and his smile faded. "You'll come back, right?"

"Yeah," she replied in a hurry before sliding the door open and leaving.

Charlotte had to walk all the way home since Ed had picked her up to go to the forest where they buried Kristen and she had not returned home since then. She just hoped she could avoid Mrs. Hudson that day. She didn't want the woman to see her in such a state. The old woman would get worried and would ask too many questions. Questions Charlotte didn't have answers to.

Luckily, Charlotte was able to make it all the way to her apartment without any interruption. When she closed the door behind her, a relieved sigh escaped through her parted lips. She was sweating due to the nerves, so she decided to go take a shower.

The blonde stepped into the bathroom and stood in front of the mirror. 

"What's wrong with you?" She asked her own reflexion. Then she snorted. "Now you're talking to mirrors, ugh. You're pathetic," she muttered before walking into the shower and turning the hot water on.

The water was already making her feel better, but it didn't matter how much she cleaned the blood, she couldn't deny who she was now

The water was already making her feel better, but it didn't matter how much she cleaned the blood, she couldn't deny who she was now. Or rather what she was.

A killer. A murderer.

It wasn't the fact that she stabbed a man that was driving her farther into insanity. No, it was the fact that she felt more relieved after she stabbed Leonard. The feeling hit her like a ton of bricks but there was nothing she could do now. She had turned to the dark side and there was no turning back now.

***

A/N: I really hope you like this chapter. And I would like to thank you for all the positive feedback I have received for this story so far! Love you all <3