Chapter Fifteen || Memories

"All we do is think about the feelings that we hide."

"The fire has gone out

Wet from snow above

But nothing will warm me more

Than my, my mother's love".

The soft melody woke Charlotte up and she sat up on the bed to see where it was coming from. To her surprise, Charlotte saw Ed playing the piano and singing along with the song. He had never told her he could sing and play an instrument.

"I light another candle

To dry the tears from my face".

Ed's voice sounded beautiful to Charlotte. She couldn't help but stare at him in awe as he sang.

Charlotte knew that song. Her mother used to sing it to her before she went to sleep. It was about a mother's love for her child and it almost brought her to tears. So many memories. That was all there was left of Charlotte's parents. Memories...

"Why are you playing this song?" Oswald asked from behind Charlotte.

Ed stopped playing and looked back over his shoulder. "I can bring tears to your eyes and resurrect the dead. I form in an instant and last a lifetime. What am I?"

Charlotte knew the answer to the riddle, but she let Oswald answer it this time.

"A memory. So what?"

"You were humming this under your covers. I figure it has meaning for you," Ed told him.

Oswald gasped and sat up on the bed. He looked between Ed and Charlotte before speaking again. "Every night when I was young, my mother would sing that song to me when I was going to bed".

Ed got up from his seat in front of the piano and went to sit on the bed in front of Oswald and Charlotte. The blonde woman looked down at her hands to avoid eye contact with Ed. Oswald continued his story.

 Oswald continued his story