Chapter Nineteen || Freeze you out

"And I won't freeze you out

Like I have been

I won't freeze you out

My heart is melting".

A month passed since Jim Gordon and company invaded Galavan's residence and saved Bruce Wayne

A month passed since Jim Gordon and company invaded Galavan's residence and saved Bruce Wayne. Hours later, Theo Galavan was found dead beaten and shot in the chest. Detective Gordon always claimed he was innocent and was cleared of all charges and reinstated in the police force.

Oswald, on the other hand, had to leave Ed's house because the GCPD was looking all over for him. He was now the prime suspect in the murder of Theo Galavan.

But that was not all. A cop had been frozen to death not too far from the precinct. Charlotte and Ed were waiting for Harvey and Jim to join them in their lab for a quick experiment. It would show them whether or not the killer had used liquid nitrogen. They needed to see how long it would take for the rose to completely freeze.

The door to their lab opened and the two Detectives slowly walked in. "Hey" Jim greeted with a slight smile.

"Nygma. Bateman," Harvey greeted forcefully and Charlotte rolled her eyes before turning to them.

She sent a smile towards Jim and didn't even bothered looking at Harvey. "Welcome back, Detective Gordon".

He nodded and smiled again. "Thank you. It's good to be back".

Charlotte could notice how Jim was still feeling awkward around Ed and her. To end the awkward silence that filled the lab, Charlotte turned back to the working table and they started their experiment. Ed started by slowly submerging the flower into the liquid nitrogen and the only sound they could hear in the room was the cracking of ice as it froze the flower.

"Interesting. It took nearly five seconds to freeze this rose in liquid nitrogen," Ed commented more to himself than to anyone else in the room.

Charlotte had noticed this fact as well. Five seconds might not seem like a long time and it wasn't to freeze a flower. However, it would take a lot longer to freeze a human being with liquid nitrogen. This guy had to be using something else.

The Detectives stared at the two forensic scientists with a crease forming on their foreheads.

"So?" Jim asked not fully understanding what Ed was trying to say.

"Well, so, it would take a human body significantly longer, depending on mass and body fat, of course," Ed explained.

Harvey still wasn't understanding how that was even possible. "So why would a cop stand around for hours, waiting to get frozen?"

Ed looked up at Harvey over his glasses. "She wouldn't".

"Exactly," Charlotte agreed and the Detectives looked at her. "He couldn't possibly be using liquid nitrogen. It takes far too long to freeze a human body, so obviously, he would need something faster like-"