Chapter Twenty-Four || Interrupted

"No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness".

- Aristotle

Charlotte and Ed were back to work

Charlotte and Ed were back to work. They were called to Union Station to 'help' in the investigation of the bomber case. Ed would also take the crowbar from the crime scene, so they could proceed with their plan.

Ed looked down at the notepad in his hands. There was the witness statement he needed Pinkney to sign. He was about to walk towards the officer when Charlotte stopped him.

"Let me go get the signature from Pinkney," she asked, placing a hand on the notepad.

Ed immediately refused. There was no way he would let his girlfriend go talk to that man. He knew of his intentions towards Charlotte. "No, I'll go".

"There's no need to be jealous, Ed," Charlotte told him honestly. He knew she was right, but he hated the way Pinkney looked at her. She saw his reluctant expression and continued. "I don't like him. I just think it will be easier to get the signature if I go. He won't ask questions".

The male forensic scientist knew there was nothing else he could say, so he nodded. However, he would watch Pinkney's every move as long as he was near his girlfriend. One wrong move and the officer's death would be more painful than the one he was already planning.

"Excuse me," Charlotte interrupted the conversation between Pinkney and another strike force officer. The other man nodded at both of them with a smirk and walked away. Charlotte showed the notepad to Pinkney. "Officer Pinkney, can you sign this chain of custody form?"

Pinkney smiled at her and she smiled back sweetly. Then he took the notepad from her hands, his fingers touched her hand for more time than it was necessary. This left Ed fuming from his position near the lockers.

"Sure," Pinkney said. He signed the paper and gave it back to her.

"Thank you, officer," Charlotte replied.

Officer Pinkney finally gathered the courage to talk to her. He wanted to ask her out on a date. He only prayed that the rumors of her and the forensic guy weren't true. Maybe someone on the GCPD had started that rumor because they were bored or something. That smile Charlotte sent his way had taken his breath away. However, when he finally opened his mouth to ask her out, she had already turned her back and was making her way towards Nygma. Pinkney groaned in frustration but had to snap out of it when Captain Barnes called for him.

Charlotte and Ed saw Jim taking notes in front of the base he had thrown the bomb into and decided to go speak with him to know what leads he had on the case.

"I want you two to oversee forensics on this one," Jim finally looked up from his journal and looked at them. "Maybe our luck will hold, and we'll get something on the bomb's signature or trace elements".