Chapter Six || Massacre at the GCPD

"He had this look in his eyes that made you wonder just how many people he's killed.

And this... grin that made you realize he's probably lost count."

Gunshots were fired from everywhere around Charlotte and she instinctively crouched down behind the desk closer to her

Gunshots were fired from everywhere around Charlotte and she instinctively crouched down behind the desk closer to her. She couldn't see what was happening due to the smoke covering the entire room.

All of a sudden, a body fell down on the floor right in front of her and she couldn't help but let out a yelp. The officer had blood covering his uniform and a bullet wound to his chest.

The smoke started dissipating, but the gunshots never ceased. For the first time in a long time, Charlotte felt scared. Fortunately, she could already see Ed crouched down beside her. However, he was looking at Kringle who stood still as a statue while gunfire went off all around her.

"No, Ed," Charlotte begged, already knowing what he was thinking.

"I have to save her," Ed replied with a worried expression as he looked at the love of his life. "If she stands there she will get shot".

"Ed, don't-" Charlotte started but Ed had already made a run for it, "... leave me".

She knew she couldn't just stand there. They were killing everyone who moved and were getting closer to her hiding spot. An idea came to her and she looked at the dead cop beside her. Charlotte didn't want to but it was the only way to survive that massacre.

With careful moves not to get spotted, she put her hand on the dead man's wound and rubbed the blood on her face and clothes. It was disgusting, but Charlotte couldn't care about that at the time. If she hesitated, she would end up with a bullet in her skull. Once she was done, she laid down on her stomach and closed her eyes. Her heart was still beating too fast inside her chest, so she tried her best to calm it down. It took several long seconds to accomplish that task but she managed.

Charlotte heard footsteps approach her and held her breath. By now only a gunshot was fired every now and then. The footsteps got closer to her head and stopped. Charlotte hopped she hadn't been found, but she was relieved when the footsteps continued past her.

As soon as the gunfire ceased completely, she could still hear voices in the distance. A voice stood out from the rest. It was boyishly and she didn't recognize it. No footsteps could be heard around her, so Charlotte asked herself if it was worth the risk of opening her eyes. She just wanted to see what was happening.

Charlotte decided to open her eyes, but only a little bit to make sure no one was close. She could see dead bodies around her. There were three men wearing police uniforms with shotguns in hand, but none stood too close to her. Charlotte slowly moved her head to be able to see the first floor which was where the voices were coming from.

She almost gasped when she saw the familiar ginger hair standing in front of Commissioner Essen. It was the same boy who bumped against her seconds before everything went to hell. Charlotte saw how Essen had no chance of escaping since she had her hands tied behind the chair. A man with frizzy brown hair stood behind the ginger boy filming everything.