Chapter One || Riddles

"The problem with love is: You can love who you want... but so can they."

Edward Nygma raised the knife and brought it down with extreme anger coursing through him

Edward Nygma raised the knife and brought it down with extreme anger coursing through him. The knife met its target but Nygma never stopped. He continued to puncture it again and again and again.

The watermelon juice splashed everywhere like blood over the metal table. The young forensic scientist imagined the watermelon had the face of Tom Dougherty, exactly like he had done with all of the other watermelons. He was doing an experiment which would indicate the profile of the killer who was currently being investigated. Twelve women had died at his hands already.

He let go of the knife and brought down the medical examiner's microphone to his level. "Punctures on test subject are consistent with those on the victim, indicating the killer was right-handed". He noticed the pieces of watermelon left on his rubber glove and licked them off. The taste was delicious. "Yum".

The door suddenly opened and Edward jumped

The door suddenly opened and Edward jumped. He was allowed to be in there. The new medical examiner had let him. She wasn't like Doctor Guerra. He never wanted him in the room with or without his supervision.

"Ed, I..." the woman stopped when she saw the mess on top of the metal table. "What have you done?"

"Good, it's you," he said glad that it was his lab partner, Charlotte Bateman. "Green on the outside but red and black inside. I am food but mostly liquid. What am I?"

"What have those watermelons ever done to you?" Charlotte asked in response.

Charlotte was more than just his lab partner. She was his best friend. She was always there when he needed and comforted him whenever he was sad about Miss Kringle. She was the only person who didn't think he was odd or a freak. Ed had to admit she was a beautiful woman and he never understood why Charlotte preferred to talk to him rather than anyone else in the precinct. She could be friends with anyone, but she chose him nevertheless.

The blonde woman also didn't see Ed as just her lab partner. He was so much more than her best friend too. She realized she had feelings for him not too long after she started working as a forensic scientist two years ago. She immediately realized how much he enjoyed riddles. However, everyone else seemed to dislike Ed because of that. It angered her to no end, but all she could do was tell him he was much better than all of those people who couldn't even do their jobs right.