Chapter Twenty-Three || Mad Grey Dawn

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Charlotte and Ed were currently at Gotham Museum of Art

Charlotte and Ed were currently at Gotham Museum of Art. They were ready to start working on Ed's plan to destroy Jim Gordon. After going over the plan a million times, they knew every step they would take.

In the middle of the room they were in, there was a bomb. Well, that was what the sign under it said. However, Charlotte and Ed both knew it wasn't a real bomb. It was just a sculpture made to look like a big bomb. They said it was real to attract more people to the Museum. Ed had changed the sculpture a little bit so it would light up with the click of a button. He had a small remote control up his sleeve and he clicked on it,  instantly lightening up the cable attached to the bomb.

At first, people just gasped and let out exclamations of surprise. But when the alarm started blaring, everyone freaked out and dashed towards the exit of the building. Charlotte and Ed just continued to lean against the wall, waiting for everyone to leave.

Charlotte felt pure adrenaline course through her as the cable reached its end and smoke started filling the room. By the time that happened, there was no one else in there but them.

"It's time," Ed stated. They both smirked at each other and before they could go on, Charlotte placed a soft kiss on Ed's lips. Ed's smirk turned into a wide grin. "What did I do to deserve that?"

"It's for good luck," she said with a wide smile.

Ed found the gesture sweet and in return, he pecked her on the lips as well. "Good luck then".

They placed a black bandana over their mouth and nose to hide their identity from the cameras. Charlotte pulled up the hood of her grey coat over her hair, which was up in a bun. They walked around the false but still smoking bomb and stepped into another section of the museum. There were only paintings in that room, but Ed only cared about one of them. 'Mad Grey Dawn' was the name and it represented a bombing on a railway, also known as 'Bloody Monday'. This would be one of the clues to the next part of the plan.

While Ed cut off the painting and saved it inside his coat, Charlotte entered in yet another section of the Museum. More paintings covered the walls around her but only two of them mattered. The paintings by Gérard Marché and Henri LaRue stood beside each other and Charlotte started working on writing the messages above the artists' signature with green spray. Once Ed was over painting a question mark on where 'Mad Grey Dawn' used to be, he joined Charlotte and sprayed two more question marks above her messages. Once Jim understood the meaning of the artists' names, he would know where to go next.

The couple made their way out of the museum through the back door as soon as they heard the police sirens blaring outside.

When the police arrived, the smoke was already dissipating but they advanced with caution. The bad guy could still be inside and there was no need to put themselves at risk with a mere Museum heist. None of them was a fan of art anyway.