Chapter Three || No body, no crime

"He was raised from the ashes of hell

and set on the path of destruction.

He was a paradox, a riddle,

a black sheep in the herd of Christ.

He was not evil, and he was not good.

He simply was."

- K. C.

Charlotte arrived at the GCPD and tried her best to appear normal

Charlotte arrived at the GCPD and tried her best to appear normal. She just wanted to get to her lab and do her job like she usually did. She wanted to see if there was any other victim on the case Jim Gordon had been working on all week. All Charlotte needed to do was focus on the case and forget what had happened on the previous night.

The way to the lab was intended to be crossed while avoiding eye contact with others. It wasn't like anyone would find out she had killed a man just by looking into her eyes, but she felt better that way.

Ed was making his way down from the first floor and struggled to take two big trunks down the stairs. Charlotte saw him and rushed toward him to help. She immediately felt herself relax as soon as she saw him.

"Hey, Ed," she greeted with a slight smile and he jumped in surprise, not having noticed her walking towards him. "Want some help with those?"

The man shook his head, but then almost fell down the stairs along with the trunks.

"Here, let me help you," Charlotte insisted and then grabbed the handle of one of the trunks. She went to push it, but it was really heavy. "Jeez, what do you have in here? Bricks?"

Ed scratched the back of his head nervously. "Yes, something like that. Could you help me take hi- I mean take these to the lab?"

The blonde nodded and helped him. She wondered why he looked so nervous, but she waited for them to be inside their lab.

"Charlotte, I can tell you everything, right?" Ed asked while pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. A thing he did a lot when he was nervous.

"Of course you can. What happened?" She asked worriedly. The sweat on his forehead was gluing his hair to his skin.

"Well,..." he chuckled nervously. "I may have done something last night that you might not approve of".

A quick flashback of what had happened to Charlotte on the previous night came to her mind and she contained a shiver. Whatever Ed had done couldn't possibly be worse than the crime she had committed.

Ed told her what happened in just one breath. "I killed Tom Dougherty last night".

Charlotte was shocked by the revelation. Ed was her best friend and the man she loved. Now he was confessing a murder. He didn't seem to be regretting his actions at all. Actually, he appeared to be more anxious about how she would react.