Chapter Twenty: One Last Day

I waited by the door for her to come out of her room. I knew she was packing things that actually belonged to her. I didn't want to have to say goodbye.

Bree came out in a t-shirt and jeans, a set that I had seen her in often. Her hair was back in a braid and her eyes were bright with tears. "Okay, so, what's the plan?" 

"We're going to the movies. Then to lunch." 

She nodded quietly and we walked down the stairs, side by side. I pretended like we weren't breaking up. I pretended like this was just another day. But something inside me told me that this wasn't another day. That I should be sitting in my bedroom, crying. That I should be curled up with a book and cheetos or something. I shouldn't be with her, going to the movies.

I took her hand and she grasped onto mine. We got into my car and I drove slowly.

"We'll miss the movie if you don't at least drive the speed limit."

"I don't care." 

She looked at me and I felt my grip on the steering wheel tighten. "Alex,"

I looked at her, letting the tears drip from my eyes. "You don't understand, I guess." 

She shrugged. "You are the one that doesn't understand." 

It was my turn to shrug. "I love you." 

"I know." She looked out the window. 

I admit, I was hurt, but I already knew that she loved me, too. That was her reason for leaving me.

--

The movie was God aweful and dinner wasn't very good. But, Bree seemed pretty content. She was back in her room and I was back in mine. She had said goodnight a couple hours before and I had replied with a similar phrase. But I knew it wouldn't be good. 

I heard movement in the hall. I opened the door to find that Brianna was in the hallway. She was probably walking to the bathroom or something. Her eyes were wide when she looked at me, standing in the open doorway in just pajama pants. 

"Hey," I muttered.

She nodded. "Hey," 

"What're you doing?"

"Getting my toothbrush and stuff." My heart sank.

"Oh, wanna come in for a bit?"

She bit her lip. "Sure, if you want me to." 

I moved over so she could get into my room. She walked in, stood next to my bed, then turned and looked at me.

Closing the door, I turned back to her, then walked slowly up to her. I reached my hand out and rested it on her cheek. "You can stay, you know that, right?" 

She shook her head, resting her hand on my wrist. "No, Alex, I can't. I really, truly, can't." 

I kissed her, softly. I was surprised when she kissed me back. She wrapped her arms around me and I moved mine to be around her waist. She didn't pull away when I pulled her closer. She replied to my every move with a positive one.

"I love you," I said slowly. 

She looked me dead in the eye. "I love you, too Alex." 

"Sleep with me? Not as in sex, but just sleep?" 

I watched her nod and she crawled into my bed. I turned out the light and lay down next to her. She rested her head on my chest and I fell asleep to the even breathing of her sleep.

When I awoke the next morning, she was gone. Just like she had promised.