Chapter Seven: Meeting Austin

My mom stood with her hands on her hips. Her head cocked to the side. She didn't look mad so much as she looked upset. "Where have you been, Alex? I called and called and you never answered." She noticed Brianna behind me and her eyes widened. "You didn't-"

"No!" I cut in. "Mom, we are just friends."

"He fell asleep at my house last night. We were doing homework. We both fell asleep."

"Okay." Mom put her hand to her heart. "Rob is here already. Frankie's mom called. He'll be here shortly. Cameron is meeting us there. Either you or Austin are driving back. I'm going shopping with Sally." She turned into the house and disappeared into the kitchen.

"Stay down here with Rob, okay? I've gotta go get changed." I smiled at her and she smiled at me.

"Okay," She sat on the couch, where Rob sat already.

"Hello there," He said, scooting closer to her. "Brianna." He smiled.

She shook her head and I smiled, running up the stairs. I changed into my trunks and put on a white t-shirt, too. I slid on some sandals and I couldn't help but smile, remembering the video I had made in the past of a song called 'Socks with sandals'. 

When I came back downstairs, Frankie was on the couch, wedging Brianna in between him and Rob. Andrew stood behind her, petting her head. I laughed.

"Come on guys,"

Andrew looked up and shook his head.

I walked over and took Brianna's hand, pulling her up. "Are you two going out yet?" Rob asked.

I glanced at Brianna and shook my head. "No. We're just friends."

"Yeah, just friends." Brianna repeated. I heard a note of disappointment in her voice, but pushed it aside. I mean, sure I liked her, but we had to stay just friends, didn't we? She needed somebody to go to when things got rough, and I couldn't be that if we dated and broke up.... Could I?

"You two are so cute together." Andrew jumped on the couch, making his voice high pitched. "SO CUTE."

Frankie and Rob laughed, but I just shook my head. I put my arm over Brianna's shoulders, drawing her closer to me. "What do you think?" I whispered in her ear.

She looked at me. "About?"

"Let's go, kids! We'll be late if we don't." My mom carried the keys. We all walked out to the garage and piled into the van. Frankie and Rob took the very back of the van, Andrew took shot gun.

"Sit next to us, Brianna." Rob said, hanging over the seat.

"Yeah," Frankie chided in, patting the seat in between them.

I got in and sat in the middle of the car. It was a car with six seats in the back, a driver's seat and a passenger seat. Brianna sat next to me. We all buckled up.

Rob and Frankie leaned over the seat, Brianna looked out the window. "What happened to you taking a chance with her?" Frankie asked in a demanding whisper, so that Brianna couldn't hear.

"I decided not to," I replied in a whisper. "I think we are best just friends." I glanced at her.

"You're so stupid! Why would you decide that?" Rob whispered, smacking the back of my head.

"Hands to yourselves, boys." My mom said, looking in the rear view mirror.

"I just...." I looked at Brianna again.

"Man, you're in love with her!" Frankie whispered. I knew he was holding back from slapping me, too.

"We're just friends." I answered.