Chapter Two: Our First Date

That night I sat at home on my lap top. I was doing homework for science class. So far, I had my name written down, so I was frustrated. My cell phone started going off, loud in the quiet house. I snatched it up and looked at the caller ID. Austin was calling me.

Austin and I had been friends since elementary school. He had moved a couple of years ago because of his mom's work. He was home schooled now, but he still met a really nice girl he liked, named Ariel.

I answered. "Hello?"

"Hey, Alex! Listen, before you say anything about the time or whatever, I just wanted to ask, I heard through the grapevine you got a new girl in class." I could hear excitement in his voice.

"Well, you heard through the right vine." I started working on my report. Typing in random facts, hoping that they'd go together or I'd get a random idea or something.

"Okay, so is it also right that she sits next to you?" I heard a smile in his voice. I knew what was coming.

"Last hour, at least." I started typing faster, hitting the keys harder, hoping he'd hear and get the memo that I was busy.

"Is she cute?"

"I think so."

"Ask her out."

"Man," I started laughing. But he was serious. 

"I'm serious."

"We're just friends."

"For now."

"Whatever. Maybe I will, but I want to get to know her better first. I just met her." I clicked save on the report and shut my lap top. "You're still coming over this weekend, right?"

"That's the plan. Me and Ariel. Hey! You should invite that new girl!"

"Okay, I will if it will make you happy." I couldn't help but smile, though, because he had a good point.

"Yes, very happy." I could hear his smile widen. "A'ight I gotta go."

"Talk to you later."

"Yee." He hung up and I collapsed onto the pillows of my bed.

I looked at the clock: 10:30 at night. Way past time for sleep. I set my lap top on the floor next to my bed and went to sleep on top of my blankets.

The next morning at school, I noticed Brianna as soon as she walked in. She wore boot cut jeans and a black t-shirt. Her hair was pulled into a braid, and she had a bandage wrapped around her upper right arm a couple times.

"Hey," I said, as she opened her locker.

"Hi, Alex." She answered. She seemed at least semi-happy to see me.

"You ready for a full day of school?"

"I hope so," She smiled at me and pulled a new purple notebook out of her locker. "First hour is science, right?"

"Yeah," I said. The door was just down the hall.  "What happened to your arm?" I tried to ask nonchalantly, but I could feel slight panic rising in my gut.

"I tripped and fell down the stairs last night. It's okay, just a bruise."

"I see," I said. Something wasn't right, though. Why would she wrap up a bruise?

"Well, lead the way to class."

"I don't lead. I walk by my friends."

She laughed, blushing a little. "Okay, well, start walking."

As we walked down the hall, we were pretty silent. Just before we walked into the room, I smacked my forehead. "I almost forgot!" Yeah, that was a great way to bring stuff up, right? Pretend like you didn't remember and stuff.

"What?" She seemed a little startled.

"I'm having a couple friends over on Saturday for a cook out and to swim. You want to come?"

"You almost forgot a cook out?"

"No, I almost forgot to ask you." I smiled.

"I'll see if I can come then." She smiled again. It seemed brighter when she smiled. I liked it a lot.

"Well, my friend, Austin, would like to meet you. I think you'd like his girlfriend, too."

A slight look of confusion crossed over her face but, the smile remained. "You told your friend about me? Doesn't he go to this school?" She glanced around as if looking for someone, like she'd know who I was talking about.

"Not any more. But, hopefully you can meet him if you come." I smiled at her as looked at the clock just as the bell rang. We walked into class.