Chapter Nine: A Kiss

"Come on! Kiss!" Frankie looked at Austin and Ariel. Of course they kissed. They'd been dating for forever- at least one and a half years. Then he looked at me and Brianna. Cameron did, too.

"Come on, Alex! Kiss her!" Rob stopped the golf cart and turned around. Ariel and Austin even smiled at us.

Brianna looked at me. I looked back at her. Should I?, I thought.

"Awe, come on!" Frankie held up his phone to take a picture. When had he gotten that out of the car? How had he gotten that out of the car? My uncle had the keys.

"Well?" Brianna smiled. "Are you going to kiss me or not?" She asked teasingly.

"I don't know...." I glanced around.

"Dude, she wants to kiss you. This is when YOU KISS HER!" Cameron shouted from right behind me.

"Just do it!" Rob said, smacking the back of my head. It stung.

I shook my head and disappointment flooded Brianna's face. I sighed and looked at her, slightly taller than me from her position on my lap. That's when she surprised me. She kissed me. And Frankie took a picture, and I heard Rob cheer. I was shocked, I'll admit. But her lips were soft and gentle.

When she pulled away she smiled at me. I looked at her, not helping the smile that spread across my face.

"Was that so hard?" She asked me teasingly, brushing a strand of hair from her face.

Rob slammed on the gas and we lurched forward. Ariel let out a scream, but Austin caught her before she could fall. I watched, wrapping my arm back around Bree's waist. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

"It's about time," Cameron said to Frankie. "She's all her ever talks about anymore."

"Really, dude? That's not true." I said.

"You're right. I might be exaggerating. But only a little." He didn't look back so I couldn't see the smile that spread across his face, but I could hear it.

I rolled my eyes and Rob hit a bump I wasn't ready for. Brianna fell off, and I landed on top of her.

"I am so sorry." I said, but I didn't move.

She laughed, propping herself up on her elbows. She shook her head, then looked at me.

"What?" I asked. "Are you okay? That hit must've hur-"

"Do you really like me, Alex?" She cut me off.

I heard the golf cart start beeping, as though Rob were driving backwards, coming back for us.

I looked at Brianna, into her dark brown eyes. Then I looked at her lips, seeing the scar run across them. And I kissed her. She laid back on the ground.

"Thought we were just friends?"

"Brianna-"

"Okay, love birds! Time to get off each other now! Ariel's mom called and she's here. So we gotta get." Austin smiled at us, and I stood up.

I helped Brianna up and we got back on the golf cart. She stayed silent the rest of the trip.

When we pulled up to the house, a new car was parked in the driveway. Ariel's mom sat in the driver's seat, talking on a cell phone. Ariel hopped off the cart and grabbed some stuff off the dock. She walked back over and kissed Austin. "Bye guys!" She waved.

"Bye!"  Everyone called.

"We should go. It's almost six." Austin said. "I'm driving."

I laughed and nodded. We all piled into the car, Cameron sitting in the back between Frankie and Rob. Andrew took shot gun and Austin took the driver's seat. Brianna sat behind him, in front of Rob. I sat behind Andrew.