Chapter Twelve: Gun Shots

When we got to Subway, we went inside to eat. As we ate, Brianna and Ariel talked like they had known each other since the day they were born-about anything possible. Austin and I sat in the booth, across from each other, holding our own conversation.

"Don't screw her tonight. That wouldn't be a good idea. Especially since I'm going home. That's no reason AT ALL to do tha-"

"Our relationship isn't all about sex." I cut in.

"You sure kiss her enough t-"

"Yeah, kiss." I interupted again.

"I saw you creepin' your hands up her shirt. Don't play dumb." He took the last bite of his sub and took a drink of his soda, shaking his head.

"It's not like that, Austin." I said, playing with the napkin I hadn't used.

"What's it like, then?"

"I love her."

"Well, I love Ariel, too."

"But I just met Brianna the other day-"

"So you don't love her."

"Yes, I do!"

"How can you love someone you don't even know, dumb ass?"

"I know plenty."

"Like?"

"Alex? What do you think?" Brianna asked, grabbing my arm. Half of her sub was gone. The other half was wrapped up. Her soda looked like it was gone, though. I picked it up. No, only about three quarters gone. I took a sip.

"What?" I asked, swallowing whatever she had in her cup. I thought that it was Mountain Dew.

"What do you think?" Ariel turned to Austin.

"About?" We asked at the same time.

"The mall."

"I hate the place." Austin made a face and took another drink out of his soda.

"I know you like your house more," Ariel said, grabbing his arm. "We can drop you off if you want."

"Don't be like that," He said. He looked down at her, only being able to see the top of her head. "Of course I'll go with you guys. Who doesn't love the mall if my Boo is there?"

"Great, you drive."

"I don't wanna drive." He whined.

"I'll drive," Brianna put in.

"No," Ariel said. "I'll drive, then."

I didn't understand why she didn't want Brianna to drive. We were all seventeen. Hell, Brianna was even older than Ariel, but I didn't say anything.

"Why can't I drive, then?" Brianna demanded. She ripped her soda out of my hands.

"No reason." Ariel looked from me to Brianna, then back to me, then back to Brianna and smiled. "It's just that it's one of my mom's rules." Lie, of course. Ariel let Austin drive all the time.

"Oh," Brianna smiled. "Before we go, I've got to go to the bathroom." She got up and walked away.

Austin and Ariel smiled at me.

"So?" Ariel demanded.

"What?" I asked.

"Are you?"

"No,"

"Not tonight, anyway." Austin tossed in.

Ariel raised her eyebrows.