Chapter 12

It was like waking up. Watching them put my parents in the ground and read the headstones aloud. It was like being slapped by the truth. My parents are dead. I'm never going to see them again. They were lost. Because Rouges had killed them. 

I knew that the war between packs and Rouges would be hard and painful. But I never fully thought about the fact that the people I love could die. That no matter what course I take people will die on both sides. All of the training doesn't change a damn thing. There'll be deaths no matter what. That I'm going to lose someone I love. 

My parents are dead. It feels like the ground was a rug that's just been yanked from nder my feet and I'm falling. So many things you's suppose to have your parents for. And Tyler and I wouldn't have them. It's like being stranded with a flat tire and no one to help of a spare tire. 

And the anger. I wanted revenge. Screw getting my life back. Or my not so vengeful hunt. I want to hunt down the people who did this. I want to kill them. I want revenge. I want to make them pay. 

Only Grant's arms around me kept me from losing complete control and giving in the the rage I was feeling. "I want them dead, Grant."

"We'll find them, Katrina," he murmured. I wanted to be out there right now, tearing out their throats. His arms tightened around me, "No, you aren't leaving me again, Katie. Please."

"I can't just do nothing, Grant!"

"You can run off again, Katrina! This isn't just some Rouge attack. We are preparing for a war!"

"I know that! I've spent the past year preparing for this war!"

"Yeah, without me!" I opened my mouth to responded but I couldn't make the words come out before he continued. "Always without me! Most of the time I don't know if you're even alive, Katrina! I need you here with me. But go ahead. Run. I know I don't deserve you, and I guess you know it too considering how you always leave me the first chance you get. But I can't do this anymore, Katrina.  I can't keep losing you and get you back, only for you to just leave again."

I was left behind staring after him as he left me. Too much at once. A war on it's way, my parents dead, but not him. I can't lose Grant. I can't. But I may already have...

§•§•§•§•§

Grant's avoiding me. It's been two days since our fight. And I haven't seen him once. Well today that enough. I have- no I need to be with him. And I wasn't going to take no for an answer. 

I had help to. My brother. It's nice having a younger sibling in a high place that is completely terrified of making you angry. Now is using that to my advantage morally wrong? Possibly. Do I give a damn? Not really.

Tyler promised me that Grant'd be in his office. So that's how I ended up creeping outside his office and praying that my little brother did what he promised. I took a deep breath and opened the door. Then immediately wished I hadn't.

Because there was my mate, kissing Sasha. "Grant?"

He broke away and looked at my with shock. "Katrina, I-"

"Don't bother explaining," I said making my face void of any emotion. "You said you were done with me. I'll be gone by the end of the day."

I turned around and rushed away, fighting to keep the tears from falling loose. 'Tristan, Kia, pack up. We're leaving. Now.'

Kia responded immediately. 'I'll go tell the other's Alpha-'

'NO!' I cut her off. 'Their mates are here. I'm not going to make them give that up.'

I entered the room that use to be mine and Grant's he had been sleeping elsewhere the past two days. 

I had my stuff together in minutes. This was the third time I've left this place in a rush to get away. And after moving at a moment's notice for the past year, well I've gotten good at it. 

I sniffed and ran to my truck. Well tried to. I crashed into Alex at the bottom of the steps. "Katie!" She grinned but it immediately dropped, "No! You're not leaving again!"

"I'm giving Grant what he want's Alex. And it isn't me. I'm not... I'm going to miss you, Justin and Trina."

"What?" she gasped. "But... No I'm coming with you!"

"Alex-"

"I'm not losing you again," she said fiercely. "I'm joining your pack. I pledge myself to the Blood Hunter pack."

I sniffed and nodded, "I, Alpha Katrina Grim, accept you, Alexandria Patel, into my pack. You and Justin get everything you're bringing. Because I'm leaving now." I felt my pack expand as she was added to the pack link. 

She nodded and ran.

§•§•§•§•§

"What happened?" Justin asked as he threw his and Alex's stuff into his car. 

"We're leaving," I answered as Tristan and Kia closed their doors indicating that they were ready to go.

"Where's Trina?"

"She's not coming. I'm not taking her from her mate."

A look of pain and sadness flashed across his face, "And what about your mate, Kate?"

"He doesn't want me," I replied emotionless. "Let's go."

He looked like he wanted to say more but got in his car. 

I got in my car and took a deep breath before opening my link with Trina. 'Katie! Where are you?'

'I'm sorry Tree. I, Alpha Katrina Grim, release you from you duty to the Blood Hunter pack. Goodbye sister. Take care of my brother.'

§•§•§•§•§

It felt like the first time. Alone in my truck. Getting the hell out of town. Leaving my life behind. I could almost pretend that it was that angry girl. Because that was so much better than the pain I was feeling now. 

Just like last time my phone rang. I don't why I put it on speaker. Maybe I'm into self inflicted pain. But part of me had to hear his voice one last time.

"Katrina! Where are you? We need to talk!"

"I'm gone, Grant." I didn't recognize my own voice. Cold and unfeeling. Empty. "And you've already said, and shown, what you want. I'm giving it to you."

"No! Come back!  You have to listen to me!" He sounded desperate.

"I am done listening. I'm done always being the one that ends up hurt. No more. We just don't work Grant. We were mates. I needed to be rejected by you so I could become who had to be. But I'm not going to keep putting myself through this pain. I've been through enough. I won't keep letting you crush my heart. I can't. So I'm leaving. And I'm not coming back. Not in a few years, not when the war is over. I'm not sure If I'll live through this war. But if I'm do I'm leaving the country. So don't try to find me. It's over Grant. You know what you want. And that's not me. So I, Katrina Grim, accept your rejection. Goodbye Grant."

When I dropped the phone out the window I didn't watch what happened. I didn't need to. Because I felt my heart shatter with it. It's truly over. I'm not going back. Because I don't have enough of me left to go through this again. 

I finally let the first tear fall. And with it, an endless river fell from my eyes. It wasn't a heart retching sob. No. I made no noise. My heart didn't pound, because there wasn't enough left. The tears just fell, and fell, and fell. I don't think I have the strength for anything more. Because I've lost my parents. I've lost my brother. I've lost my sister. And I've lost my mate.