Chapter 22

Yes it's short but as I've said I am revising the first so I'm wary to even post this.

Katrina

When I first stepped out of the shower and into the room Toch had given me I couldn't quite figure out what was different. I looked around. Something was off. It was the scent that clued me in, familiar and from a lifetime that happened countless lifetimes ago. Lilies.

I closed my eyes and let the memories dance across my mind from when dad and I spent hours every single day rebuilding my truck. The fumes would give me headaches so he always put of a vase of lilies.

I walked to the desk and touch one of the delicate little flowers. It shifted causing something to flutter down to the desktop. I picked it up.

Follow the flowers.

-Toch

I couldn't help but smile. I don't remember the last time someone did something sweet like this for me. "Follow the flowers?" I muttered to myself. "What in the world does that mean?"

"You'll see," Kia said from the door.

I rolled my eyes, "Why am I not surprised that you have a hand in this?"

She smiled, "I just want to see you happy, I owe you for all that you've done for me. And after all you've been through... Well if anyone deserves a little happen it's you. Now get dressed." She shoved a white frilly dress into my arms before leaving.

I quickly got dressed. It was one of the tradition Mexican party dresses that I've seen women wear. I stepped out into the hall expecting to see Kia, instead was another lily sitting in the middle of the hallway. I picked it up and looked do the hall. There was a second one on the top step of the stairs.

"Follow the flowers? Okay Toch. What have you got up your sleeves?" The lilies lead me outside to Toch's car wear he stood dress nicely holding a final lily.

"Good evening, Katrina." He pressed the flower into the bundle I had gathered.

I laughed, "Good evening. I'm almost frightened to ask what you have planned."

He grinned at my words. "Please, let me show you why your people come to my country to party." Something about the way the words sounded in his accent caused them to entrance me. He held out his hand and I took it without a thought.

Toch did just as he said he would. He took me through a whirlwind of the Mexico that everyone talked about. We didn't slow down until he led me to a secluded cliff clearing a little past midnight. "So, was it fun?" Toch asked.

I grinned and laughed a little. "Yeah..." I lay back on the grass to look up at the twinkling little stars. "Thank you Tochtli. I forgot what real fun was like." He moved to lie beside me. "Today was amazing. No one has ever done anything like this for me before." I rolled onto my side and kissed his cheek.

He sat up pulling me with him so he could kiss me on the lips. It was nothing like with Grant. Whenever I was with Grant it always felt like I had to be with him. But this, being here with Tochtli I didn't have to be with him, I wanted to be with him. I'd given up by the time I came here, I was only intending to past through. But weeks have gone by and I just can bring myself to think about living.

At first it was because finally there was someone who seemed as dark and as full of hate as me. Tochtli was the first one to understand what it felt like to be truly and deeply scorned by your mate. He knew what it was like to know that no matter what that you can never go back. Grant was a past, one of my many pasts. I think that Tochtli... No!

I pulled away. "I can't do this," I told myself before taking off.

"Katrina!" Tochtli shouted behind me.

What am I doing? After everything I went through with Grant and here I am about to make the same mistakes over again! I swore I would never go back. I've given love so meant chances. I swore to myself after the last time that I was done. I was done with Grant, done with mates! And above all I was done with love!

"Katrina! Stop!" He yanked me to a stop forcing me to face him.

"I can't do this, Toch."

"Do what?" he asked.

"This!" I gestured at the two of us. "I can't go down this road again. I am done handing out second chances."

"What did I do?" He seemed so confused.

"You made it really easy to care about you," I whispered. "And you are making it so easy to fall for you. What's worse is you don't realize it or even mean to. All I ever did with my mate was give him chance after chance. When I left I swore that I would never let myself make the mistake of giving love a second chance."

I took a deep breath. "I'm not crazy, I know that's not what this is, not even close. But I can't let myself get involved with anyone, care about anyone in that way ever again. I'm sorry Tochtli. I really am."

I turned to leave but he grabbed my arm. "I've never given anyone a second chance," he said softly. "When my mate wanted to be together after she rejected me for my brother I turned her down without a second thought. I don't know what you went through with your own mate but I do understand not wanting to give caring about someone in that way a second chance."

I waited for him to continue. "Did you happen to have a point?" I turned to look at him and he was smiling. What is with this guy?

"Si," he answered. "You've given out so many second chances, and I've yet to give on. But I'm willing to try... to..." I watched him look for a word for a couple of seconds. "To see where this goes. I'm willing to give caring about someone a second chance. For you." He cupped my face with his hands. "Because I think you're worth it."

"Tochtli," I whispered unable to looked away from his dark eyes. "I don't know what to say..."

"Say yes," he whispered back.

I opened my mouth and for a moment nothing came out. Then so quietly I barely heard it, "Yes."