Chapter 10

It's been a couple weeks since I've come back to Grant. They've been quite. Rouge activity was lower than normal. That had me worry. But I had Grant. Madeline seemed to be true to her story about coming and her being a ex-Fire Light pack member made me want to trust her. But I couldn't. The ends didn't meet. With Rouges that's not uncommon, but the wrong ends were met and the right ones weren't. And another thing, as terrible as it is for me to say this, she shouldn't still be a virgin. It's sick and disgusting but it happens a lot with the women captured by Rouges. 

I was lucky. Because I was a 16 year old Beta of a powerful pack Adrian wanted to break me first. But He wouldn't make the same mistake. And to be honest, sending Madeline in as a spy? It's what I would. I can't help but keep an eye on her. And I'm putting off training her or allowing her to see us train. I'm using things like how she isn't emotionally ready to be in a fighting environment.

Grant wrapped his arms around me from behind as I sat at the kitchen island going over paperwork. You'd think there wouldn't be a lot with a pack of five but we're in alliances with a lot of packs and we have been moving from pack to pack.  "Take a break."

"Can't," I replied, " I have to finish this."

"Don't you have a Beta to help?"

"I can handle a little paperwork, Grant. It's like being Beta for the Fire Light pack."

He kissed my temple, "Please, for me?"

I spun around in the chair and looped my arms around his neck. "Nope." He sighed and lean down to brush his lips over my mark. I shuddered. "You're playing dirty."

He pulled away enough so I could see his smirk. "Is it working?"

I tried to hold back my smile but fail miserably. "Cheater."

He grinned and lifted my by my waist. I wrapped my legs around his waist and planted my lips on his.

We were interrupted by something I'll remember for the rest of my life. "Alpha Katrina!"

I pulled away from Grant and went to find the wolf. Young, an so sad. "What's wrong?"

"I-it's the old Beta couple, Alpha Katrina." I tensed was cold fear shot through me. "At their house. They've been attack-"

I was gone before the wolf could finish. I ran as fast as I could. Not caring that I had no shoes on so the ground cut my feet. Not caring that running wasn't the best idea. All I could do was run and pray they aren't dead. They can't be.

The run home was blur. But it reminded me of being a little girl, racing with Alex and Tyler. I burst through the door and my parents were on the floor. I tried to run to them but Tyler caught me. "Let me go!" I threw myself against his arms to hysterical to fight reasonable. "No! Let me see them!"

"It's too late, Katie!" 

I felt my throat close up and my eyes filled with tears. I shook my head and stared at them. "No. Get up! They have to get up! Get up!"

"It's too late." He's crying. "Their dead."

"No!" I screamed at him. "Don't you dare say that! they aren't dead! They can't be dead."

"Katie-" 

Trina cut him off by putting her hand on his shoulder. She's crying too. "Let her go."

Tyler's arms fell from me and I fell to the floor next to my parents, not caring that blood was in a puddle around us. I shook my dad, "Daddy? Daddy get up. You have to get up! Don't leave me Daddy."

!6 years. That's all I had. I only had 16 years with them.  I'm going to spend more time with them when the war was over. "Please Daddy, you can't die. I need you. Please." I looked at Mom and grabbed her hand. "No, Mommy? You..." It's getting harder to talk. They can't be d- no. They can't. Not yet. Not now. Not when I've had so little time. "Get up. You have to get up. Please don't leave me." 

I felt Grant's arms around me. "Their gone, Katrina."

"NO!" I screamed as he tried to pull me away. "THEY AREN'T DEAD! THEY AREN'T DEAD! YOU'RE WRONG! YOU'RE LYING!"

"I'm so sorry, baby," he whispered as I felt a pinch in my arm. 

"They're not dead," I slurred as the world blurred. "They can't leave me." Then everything went black.

~~~~~

"Higher," I giggled as Daddy pushed me on the swing. "Higher, Daddy."

"Okay, higher." 

"Before careful!" Mommy called with Tyler on her lap. "She's only 4!"

I pouted as Daddy slowly stopped pushing me. "Sorry, sweetie. What about ice cream?"

I grinned and took his hand. 

***

My first date ended crappy. Luis is a jerk. He tried to order me around and had the nerve to attempt to kiss me! I sat next to Mom on the couch. "Why are guys such jerks?"

"Bad date?" I nodded. "It's the first of many."

"Gee, thanks."

"Oh honey," she put her arm around me and hugged me to her. "Wait till you find your mate."

"And what if my mate is someone like Grant?"

She chuckled, "Ah, then the fates would have made a great match."

"Gross," I scrunched my nose up as stood. "Night, Mom."

"Good night, sweetie."

***

"Tyler, go away! I'm trying to do homework."

"Nerd." 

"Better than a moron!" I shot back.

"Kids," Mom said. "No fighting."

"Not unless you're going to do it right!" Dad put in and Mom start yelling at him while Tyler and I laughed.

***

"Mommy!" I cried.

She came running to my room, "What's wrong, Katie? Bad dream?"

I nodded as Daddy came in. He sat on the bed and pulled me onto his lap. "What about?"

"There were bad wolves. And they were killing people. A lot of people. I was sad and scared."

He hugged me, "It's okay, sweetie. It was just a dream. Mommy and I will always be here to protect you."

"Promise?" 

"I promise."

***

Except he broke that promise. Because he didn't get up. He's not here. The bad wolves are after me again. But this time I don't have my parents to cry out to when I have a bad dream. I'm an orphan. Hot tears rolled down my face. I don't opened my eyes. I don't want to. Then I'd have to face the world with out my parents. I'm on my own. Because he broke his promise to me when I was 7. They aren't here to protect me anymore.

I know, I killed her parents. Sorry. I've been planning to killed them for the past 7 chapters. So, yeah. I'm not sure you guys have heard, but I have a goal to reach 750 votes before school ends on Friday. I have 723. Please help my dream come true. Vote, and if you haven't, vote for the Not So Sad Rejection. I really want to reach my goal. And if this book get to 55 votes I'll post the next chapter the next chapter on Wed. a week early. So vote please! And check out my other books.