Chapter 11

• Dedicated to My Insane Mother

Okay guys, I'm updating early. Why? Because Mother dearest started reading The Not So Sad Rejection. And my dear mother is where I get my love of reading so of course she finished it and all ten chapters of this book. And my mother, Hello Mother, ordered me to update. Yep. My family people. THEY. ARE. IN. SANE. And Mom, I am totally talking about you.

Grant's P.O.V.

Finding out my mate's parents have been murdered was... I'm not sure there's a word to describe it. I've know them my whole life. And Kate. She hasn't spoken since she woke from sedative. I was thrown back to when a Rouge injected Katie with Blue Krait poison. She wouldn't speak and she'd flinch at the slightest movement. Somehow this is worse, though. She just sits there on our bed. Not speaking. Only eating after a hour of us begging. It's like she's lost. I've tried to get her to talk but she made more noise when she was in a coma than she's made now. Her parents are dead. It was a blow to everyone. Tyler took a different approach. He's been trying to find out who killed them. I'm not sure it's much better but Katie just doesn't seem to accept it. 

The memory of her yelling for her parents to get up flashed through my mind. Yelling and struggling to get to them. I finally got her to sleep a hour go at 1 am. It took three days to get her to do it. She's more robot than human at the moment. 

"Knock, knock," Alex said softly walking in. She had taken the deaths of Katie's parents hard as well. She spent more time at Katie's than her own home. "How's she doing?"

"I wish I knew."

Alex nodded and ran her hand through her hair. "The funeral's tomorrow."

"I know."

"Is she going?"

"I'm taking her," I told Alex. "She needs to go. Needs to accept that they're dead."

"And the funeral is the best time to do that?"

"If she doesn't go she'll regret it later."

"She'll make it through this," Alex said.

"Why does she have to?" I asked. "Why does she have to make it through anything? Why can't she be allowed to be happy without something else happening that she has to make it through?"

"Grant," Alex started.

"No, don't. Is it so wrong that I want my mate to be happy. Of all of us she's the one that deserves it the most. and yet she can never seem to get it. It's not fair."

"You're right. But news flash, Grant, life isn't fair. And yeah, Katrina does deserve happiness more than the rest of us. But it's your fault! Because you rejected her, she left and that's what started all of this!" Alex snapped loudly.

"Don't you think I know that?" I yelled back. "that's the first thing I think every morning! That it's my fault the woman I love has had such a shitty life. That she loses the people she loves. If I hadn't been such a moron she could be happy. I would have to spend every damn day thinking 'what if'. But at least you and Tyler found your mates! And at least she's saved a lot of people. But your right it's my fault! If I could go back in time and never reject her, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would do anything to go back and save her that pain. To give her back those 5 years that she missed with her parents. With her family. I know that it's all my fault that her parents are dead!"

"It's not your fault her parents are dead. But as long as you let your guilt eat you, you will never be what's best for her," Alex said and walked out.

I sighed and sat next to Katrina, I'm almost surprise she didn't wake with our yelling. But I suppose after being awake for three days she is allowed a deep sleep. "The world truly is the hardest to the people who deserve it the least. I'm so sorry, Katrina."

§•§•§•§•§

The funeral. Katie reluctantly got into a black dress and went. She was staring straight ahead as if trying to block everything out. Jason and Lily had come along with Gina and Damon. They kept looking at my mate with worry. Waiting for her to break. 

"Sarah and John Grim will always be in our hearts. And our hearts go out to the daughter and son they left behind. Any day we bury one of our own, is a sad day. Now if the children would like to speak,"

Tyler went up and talked for five minutes. Then it came to Katie. "Do you want to go up?" Nothing. "Katie, please," After a minute I nodded for the preacher to go one. And soon it was time to go to the grave. After all you can't have an open casket with how damaged... I took a deep breath watched as they lowered the two caskets into holes.

It wasn't until the head stone was read that Katrina broke down. At first it was a tremble and then she was on the ground sobbing. I pulled her to my chest and wrapped my arms around her. "Shh, I've got you, I've got you."

"They can't be dead," her voice was raw and lost. 

"I'm so sorry, baby."

Jason came over with a look of pain and grief. Katie left me and threw her arms around his neck. He rubbed her back, "It's okay baby sister." That's the only thing that kept the jealousy away. The fact that Jason and Katrina consider themselves siblings. 

Lily knelled down next to them and put her hand on Katie's back. "I'm so sorry, Katrina."

"I want to go home," she whispered after a while. Jason nodded and handed her to me. She instantly curled into me, "I want them back, Grant."

"I know, baby," I said. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"I hate them. I hate all of them. Why would Rouges kill my parents. They did nothing. It's not fair."

"I know." There's really nothing else anyone can say. What can you say when the woman you love just had her parent murdered?