Chapter Two

Fake Smiles

"It's smaller than I thought it would be," I commented as I pulled up to the Blue Waters pack house.

"It's a smaller pack," Trina replied. "Only the Alpha family stays at the pack house. They weren't too fond of outsiders, so be prepared for a little hostility and defensiveness."

"They called us for help," I countered. "Why would they be hostile? There's no logic behind it."

Trina gave me a thin-lipped smile. "People are rarely logical, Kate."

They're more logical than you think, Tree. I didn't say the thought aloud; I wasn't prepared to answer the questions that follow. I parked the truck and Tristan parked next to me. The Alpha and Luna were on the front steps. A tall, well-tanned man stood like a ruler, back almost impossibly straight. The expression on his face reminded me of an old school nun about to reprimand a student at Sunday school. The woman was like I remembered, gracefully tall and large breasted. She seemed much homier than her mate. He probably chose her for her appearances and she chose him for his power. I saw little love between them. They were too formal, too stiff.

Yes, I could see that they would not be overly friendly. I took a deep breath and turned off the truck. "Leave the weapons in the car, Trina," I ordered when she reached for her whip and machetes.

She looked at me like I was insane. "Are you serious? We can't go unarmed; we never go unarmed."

"Technically speaking, we are here illegally. We need to tread lightly and weapons suggest hostility." I pushed her hand away from the very sharp blades. "Leave the weapons in the car," I reiterated. "Let's go."

We got out and Tristan and Justin got his car. It was warmer here than in Fire Light and Silver Moon. It didn't feel like winter. "Let's do this," Trina murmured when the boys joined us.

Let's hope they don't try to kill us. I cleared my throat and walked up to the Alpha couple. They booth did a double take when they saw my eyes. I resisted the self-conscious urge to reach a hand up. I knew only too well what it was like to see them for the first time. "Good afternoon Alpha Knight, Luna Knight," I greeted professionally. "I am‒"

"Beta Greyson of the Fire Light," the man cut me off, quite rudely I might add.

I cleared my throat hoping to portray the right amount of impatience and politeness. I think I mastered it pretty well, although my tone when I spoke was probably snider than necessary. "Alpha Greyson, of the Blood Hunter pack."

"I was unaware of your new status," the woman said.

I had a feeling she use to mediating between her mate and other Alphas. "My rise in status is a somewhat recent event."

She nodded but her mate narrowed his eyes in scrutiny. "I've never heard of this pack, the Blood Hunter pack. Who was the previous Alpha of the pack? I'd like his name."

"There is no previous Alpha," I answered sharply. "The he you are looking for does not exist. I created the pack."

His eyes widened just a fraction. "That's not possible."

"You have been in power for a number of years. You can recognize the scent an Alpha carries. You knew I was an Alpha the moment you got my scent which means you meant to assert dominance over me by addressing me as Beta instead of my proper title," I said in a clinical and assertive tone. Luna Knight shifted uncomfortably. "You called me for help, but your actions suggest you prefer I weren't here. If that is the case then my people and I will leave."