Husk

I hauled another heap of hay over my shoulders and into a pile at the center of the stable

I hauled another heap of hay over my shoulders and into a pile at the center of the stable. For a home we were supposed to rest in, we sure weren't getting any, once again.

It was a humid early summer day, and the stable air was thick and hard to breathe. The beige wood of the walls reflected back the bright morning sun that beamed in from the high windows.

I wiped a bead of sweat from my brow and laughed, "Are we even getting anything done?"

Nate looked around at the stacks of hay that was still left.

"Well we're doing something," he said.

Mat wheeled a heaping barrel of hay up by our side.

"You know what to do," Mat said and tipped the barrel down towards our pile hay.

I shoveled large heaps of the brown spotted hay into the barrel, its musty fragrance filled my nose and dulled my sight. I was almost getting used to the smell of the horse droppings, but not nearly quick enough.

Rafi appeared from around the beam at the center of the stable. Her smile was as bright and cheery as the rising sun.

"Morning, my hardworking guest," she said, and removed her leather gloves from her hands, "Have you taken a break yet?"

We stopped our work and shook our heads no.

"Come on then, let's get you some breakfast!" she said.

I looked down at my dirty hands. The fumes reached my nose in an instant.

Rafi winked her eyes at me, "And of course, rinse off your hands before you eat."

A rapid knock came at the stables front door.

"Hello?" Rafi shouted, and craned her neck towards the door, "Ray is that you?"

"Come on!" Ray's muffled voice shouted back, "Just let us in."

"Us?" Ray said and looked towards us as she counted our heads under her breath.

"Seriously Rafi?" Ray said the excitement in her voice strained.

Ray walked towards the tall stable door and reached for its low handle to pull it up from the ground.

On the other side, Ray stood next to a handsome man. His sun-soaked face was framed by the dark stubble of his beard that made his grey eyes flash. He had a kind of intoxicating charm.

The handsome man wore a tall black leather hat studded with silver rivets and a matching leather jacket.

"Pleased to meet," he said and tipped his hat towards Rafi, "The name is Jamie Husk."

Rafi stood between the two, her arms crossed tight over her chest.

"Hello," Rafi said, her welcoming warmth worn thin.

"I understand you host travelers in need," Jamie said and stepped forward with his hand clasped together, "I've been on my feet for thirty-nights, it would be mighty nice to have a hot bowl of food and a night of sleep under a solid roof. If that is alright with you, miss Rafi."

"We have room, right?" Ray said with wide eyes like a child asking for a new toy.

"Of course," Rafi said slow, her eyes still narrowed on Jamie, "We were just about to start lunch."

"Great!" Ray said, and pulled Jamie forward by his hand, "I'll set the table."

Rafi watched the two escape up the stable stairs and into the kitchen.

"But, you hate setting the table," Rafi whispered to herself.