Blink

We tipped-toed over the rolling twigs at our feet

We had been walking for hours, and all this time my eyes never left the light of the tracker. Its green blinking soothed and excited me all at the same time knowing any moment it could turn red, and everything would change.

We would no longer be just a few kids trying to find a home and get some food. We would be prey and nothing more.

Our elbows ripped through the parched branches of the forest beside us, and our breaths were no louder than the crickets that hopped around our feet.

We were quiet, but not quite enough.

"I think I heard something," Evee whispered.

"You're seeing things," Mat said, his voice raised just above a whisper.

"I am not," Evee said and raised her voice with him.

Ocean held a finger to her lips from the front of the trail.

"I can't believe you two," she said.

Nate let out a faint snicker.

"I can," he said.

We were about to cross the Ally route and couldn't use our lanterns or risk being seen. Every shady corner of the forest took on new strange and threatening shapes. It was playing tricks on our tired eyes as the night, and the green light of the tracker continued on.

"It's not my fault, he won't listen to anyone but himself," Evee said.

"And it's not my fault, I'm smarter than you," Mat quipped back.

Here we were again. Dangerously close to Ally grounds and these two decided they would rather fight then make it out of this night alive. I couldn't believe them. I couldn't believe they distracted me from the -

Red.

A vivid, blood red was blinking on the tracker.