Drop

Liar

Liar. A dirty, cheating, liar.

"We're almost there," Nate whispered.

Evee was carried on Nate's back like she was a small child after a day of too much fun. We were walking through the trails of the misty forest that was carpeted with dead brown leaves soaked from yesterdays rain. Nate turned to kiss Evee gently on the cheek.

"We have to-," she mumbled back.

"It's okay, we'll be there by morning," Nate said and lied.

If there was anyone who knew how much longer it would be to the next home, it was Nate. But still, he hid the truth as she had done to him. I felt the brush of the forest crumble under my boots. It felt good to break something, it was almost enough to calm me, almost. My tongue squirmed under my front teeth and sent a searing pain into the roof of my mouth.

Mat paced beside Nate, looking over his shoulders at Evee.

"You're already losing momentum, kid," Mat said, his shoulders flexing under the strap of his bag, "You should let me take it over, you know. A real man?"

Nate's eyes turned to slits.

"A real man?" he said and slowed his pace.

"Listen," Mat said and held out his hands, "You can't hold her for the whole trip. I've seen you. You can barely lift your own bags."

Nate turned his head slowly with pressed lips, "What does that have to do with it?"

Ocean, who had taken full control of the map cut between the two boys.

"We'll be able to walk to the shore!" Ocean exclaimed with the postcard in her hand, "Isn't that neat!"

I looked at Ocean, her dark brown eyes were teeming with excited. Either she hadn't heard them, or she was refusing to.

"That's great Ocean," I said and turned to her.

"I think," Ocean said, the words rolling from her in spurts, "if we get there early enough we'll be able to -"

"All I'm saying is," Mat interrupted, "Is you should hand her over to me before you drop her or something."

"She safe with me," Nate said, courage rising in his tone.

Mat walked closer to Nate, "You know, she was always safe with us before you ever came around."

"What do you care anyway?" Nate said finally raising his voice to Mat.

It was true. What was Mat's sudden interest in Evee and Nate? He never cared before.

"Look, kid, I'm just trying to help you," Mat said with his signature arrogant smirk, "Clearly, you need some help."

"Clearly you need your eyes checked!" Nate fired back, "You must be going blind or something."

"What did you say?!" Mat said and stopped in the middle of the trail.

"What?" Nate said and stopped with him, "Don't like it when someone calls you out!"

Mat lunged towards Nate, his arched his body to tower over Nate, with his shoulder meeting the top of Nate's tangled head.

"What I don't like is when little punks, think that they run the show," Mat said and hovered his chin above Nate's head, "How do we even know we can trust you?"

Nate laughed and stood back, "Trust me?"

"You don't think I haven't noticed?" Mat said and reached for the bandage around Nate's arms, "What are you hiding under there anyway?"

Nate flinched his arm back from Mat's touch.

"No- no-" Evee mumbled as she stepped down from Nate's back.

"What's wrong, Evee?" I said the words spilled like glue from my mouth, "Isn't this what you wanted?"

The others halted and look at me. Ocean's eye was drained of excitement and filled with despair.

"Valen," Ocean said, "What are you talking about?"

"I think she should walk!" I shouted and swung up my hand.

"Walk?" Nate said and gripped Evee's hand, "But she's sick."

"She's probably lying about that too!" I said and pushed my tongue on my cheek.

"Evee," Nate said and stood away from her, "What is she talking about?"

"I - I - I don-" Evee stuttered with her hand on her head.

I walked towards Evee with my thumb on my chin, "Tell them Evee. Tell them the truth, " I said calmly.

"Valen, what are you -," Ocean said and turned her eyes to the tops of the trees.

"She's not making sense! That's what it is," Mat said and turned towards me, "Am I going to have to carry you too now!"

"Evee," I said and walked until her head hit my chest, "Evee tell the truth."

"I can - can -" she studdered under my chin.

"Can't speak for yourself?" I said and paced around to the others who were watching me like I was a television, "I saw her. Last night, when I went to the bathroom. She had - she had her arms around Hideki, and she was, kissing him!"

Nate dropped his hand out from Evees and Mat stepped away like she was made of flames.

"Evee is this true?" Nate turned and whispered to Evee.

Evee's eyes were unhinged and focused passed me as if at this moment she could see through me and onto something I could not.

"Well?" I said and exhaled heavy, "Do you have anything to say?"

"Evee is this true?" Nate said with more pain in his voice than before.

"You couldn't help yourself," I said and felt his pain hit my own voice.

"You," I said and locked my eyes with Evee, "You lying bitch."

It hung in the air and then dropped. Heavy like a choking gas that arrested us all in its haze. I couldn't take it back, and I wouldn't take it back. 

Not in that moment. 

Not when I meant it.