Host

This home was in no way unlike the many others we passed before

This home was in no way unlike the many others we passed before. Its roof was tiled with wood and gathered in a point where rounded stacks of bricks made a tall chimney. On the porch were two wicker chairs and a grinning mask was fixed on its gable.

Nate walked at my side, now in the path of the light where he could be seen.

"It looks like there's someone in there," Nate said and walked slower.

"It's a host home," I said, "It has people who are supposed to help us."

"Supposed to?" Nate said.

Evee walked between us, "Don't worry, we'll be the best travelers they've ever hosted."

Mat was the furthest ahead and at the stairs of the home. The door was lit with a warm light, and the faint voice of a shouting man grew louder.

An old man with a hook nose and beady eyes stood on the porch. His hunched back held up the suspenders of his high pants. His eyes were blocked by the brim of his wide hat and only showed the scowl of his tight wrinkled lips.

"Hey!" Mat shouted back, "What kind of host are you?"

"Host?" the old man continued to shout, "Ain't ever been no host!"

Not a host? My stomach swelled into a pool.

"The flame or whatever," Mat scowled and pointed to his side, "It's on the side of your house."

"I don't care if the whole damn forest is ablaze," the old man spat, "Ain't ever been no host! So you can take your mooching sorry faces somewhere else!"

Mat looked back at us with narrow eyes as if to say 'I told you so.'

"We're out of here," Mat said and slugged his backpack up his shoulder.

We walked back up the path we had come from with faces long and dusted from a day's walk that would now be even longer. I took the postcard from my bag to see just how long the next home would be.

"Now what's that in your hand?" a faint voice said from behind.

.•:※──────✧※⏣※✧──────※:•.

Looks like they're are missing something very important. Now how will they get into their first host home? Please be sure to keep voting and commenting below.