Worry

The door of our bunker swung open all at once, as a gust of warm air whipped into my face

"What the hell?" I stuttered as I opened my crusted eyes and woke from my sleep.

I turned to Nate. He was grinding his teeth but sound asleep. At the head of my bed, a dark figure stood over me. I staggered back in my sleeping bag and pulled at Nate's covers to wake him.

The figure moved into the faint light of the moon outside.

It was Rafi, her green eyes were wide with anguish as she snatched our belonging and threw them over her shoulders with frantic haste.

"Is Ray here?" Rafi asked, her voice strained.

"She must be in her room," I said and rubbed at my blurry eyes, as the others stirred from their sleep.

"I can't -" Rafi said and continued to throw our bags, "I can't find her anywhere!"

The warmth of my skin drained from me. Ray had to be somewhere. It couldn't be true? She wouldn't just leave her sister? Would she?

Mat groaned from his corner of the bunker.

"She's probably with Jamie!" he said and pointed his open hand out the window.

"That coward isn't here either," Rafi said and put her thumb on her chin, "And Beleza is gone too!"

"Do you think they, you know, left together?" I said.

"Never," Rafi said and twisted her lips, "She would never leave Papa."

"Then what should we do?" Ocean said and stood next to Rafi.

Rafi pulled her arms into her jacket, "We go and find her, that's what we do," she said.

"Hello?" Mat said and swayed his head, "We can't be chasing Ray wherever she is. We're supposed to be getting away from the Allies. Aren't we?"

"We'll all be hiding if Papa comes home and Ray isn't here," Rafi said, "We have to go."

"He's right Rafi," Valen said, "What if she's too far for us to find? What if the Allies spot us?"

"Around here," Rafi scowled and pulled a long gun from her side, "We don't worry about that."