Lost

As if she could hear my thoughts, Rafi pulled in front of Jessie and blocked his path

She locked her rifle inches from Jessie's temple. He slowed Beleza to a trot. The quick halt made him fall over and drop his gun.

Jessie was now caught between the edge of the steep hill and the barrel of Ray's gun. Without another choice, he stood and sprinted for Beleza again.

He was about to pass behind me. The idea came so sudden, so clear, I wasn't sure if it was my own. I brushed Mel's coat against its grain and tightened my grip on her reign.

Mel's body rippled down from her back up towards me. Her husky legs kicked back with a violent thud. Jessie's body had splashed into the rocky brook below. He laid face down as he was washed away by the rapid waters and over the steep cliff, never to be seen again.

Rafi sprinted to Beleza and unhooked Ray from the net and onto the wet mud with desperate hands. She kneeled above Ray's frail body and gripped her in her arms.

"Ray, what happened?" Rafi asked as tears flowed down her red cheeks.

"I didn't want to go. I promise," Ray sobbed and wiped her tears with a fist.

"I know," Rafi said touched the bruise on Ray's cheek, "I know."

"We were only supposed to be gone for an hour," Ray said quickly, "Then when I tried to come back home he said an elder at one of the camps had paid for me and that he was going to sell me to him."

"Sell you?" Rafi said with a fire that warmed her green eyes.

"I'm sorry Rafi," Ray said as her sobs grew louder, "This is my fault."

"Stop saying that," Rafi said.

Ray pulled her face away, "I was scared."

"What are you talking about?" Rafi said and with wrinkled brows.

"Why won't Papa let me go to live at the post with him, like he will with you," Ray said, "I don't want to stay behind with Aunt Aleida."

She didn't want to be left behind. It sent a chill through the forest and into my damp skin.

Rafi's mouth gaped apart, as she pulled herself from Ray.

"You know Papa is just trying to protect you. It's dangerous at the Ally post."

"It's always been about you," Ray shouted, and wiped her tears more, "And if I weren't born, Mom would still be alive. We all know it! Papa does!"

"Papa loves you Ray," Rafi whispered, "Do you think, I'm here just for me? I wouldn't know what would happen to Papa without you.

We'd be without our Northstar," Rafi said and placed her hand on Ray's cheek, "We'd be lost, Ray."

I watched them curl into each other arms, their backs rise and fall from their heavy exhales as a pressure swelled from the backs of my eyes. All I could do was wonder.

Was my father this lost without me?

.•:※──────✧※⏣※✧──────※:•.

Woah, what an ending to this chase. Did it end how you thought it would?  Please be sure to keep voting and commenting below and help other readers join the adventure.