One

"Can't we give more to these fine children?" Neil exclaimed with heaps of new clothes and blankets in his arms

Petra wrapped her arms around his broad shoulders and dropped her head on top.

"They won't be able to carry it all," she said as Neil kissed her cheek.

I felt the sides of my lips stretch into a smile. These dorks.

It was the last day in Neils home. We were in his kitchen packing our belongings for the long trip ahead. The zipper of my bag fought to stay closed. It made me wish I had started with less.

Neil stood above, his tall body stretched a dark shadow over my bag.

"There's something for you, you know?" he said with a smile so kind I didn't think it was possible coming from him.

"Do you see all this?" I said and smiled back at him, "I can't carry what I already have. You heard Petra."

"I know, I know," Neil said and held out his hand with open palms, "But there's something here, for you. I don't think anyone else could wear it."

"It's not pink, is it?" I said and stood from my backpack.

"No, not pink," Neil laughed, "You can thank me for that."

"Okay, show me what you got," I said and craned my neck to the hands behind his back.

Neil unfolded a long piece of wool. It's forest colored yarn was knitted into a sweater, and on its front was a white embroidery of a shed under a sky of stars. Neil straitened the fabric further to reveal the white letter letters across the chest.

"One by One. We won't run," Neil said sounded out as he read the green sweater.

A warmth stretched across my skin.

"Way better than pink," I said and looked behind to see Petra smiling back at us too.

Neil wrapped his arms around me and tapped my back.

"Thank you," he whispered and looked towards Petra, "For giving this old man, a second try."

Neil held my shoulder for longer than expected. I found myself not wanting him to let go. If I didn't understand him before, I did now.

There was no time this. No time for sadness. We were marked and had no home here or anywhere. Not yet.

Mat stood at the front door, with more clothes than he could possibly carry for very long. Valen carried her brown bag by his side.

"Let's get going already," Mat said, and hurried out the door.

I picked up my bag. It was heavy but manageable, nothing I couldn't handle.

We said our goodbyes, as Neil and Petra watched us from the open door. Neil's arms protected Petra's round belly. They were about to start their new family. Just when I was still trying to find my own.

The day was fitting. Cool from the casted gray clouds, and dry with the promise of rain. All perfectly shaded to match my new gray scarf. I looked back at the old shed to get a last glimpse and took it all in before it became nothing more than a stitch on a wool cloth in the horizon.

Beside me, as we walked, Ocean wore her new blue sweater.

"Looking good," I said and forced a smile.

She stretched the hem of the sweater to look at it herself and smiled.

"How far are we to the next home?" Ocean turned and asked Nate.

Nate looked at the map and counted under his breath.

"If we keep our pace we're - " Nate paused, "Woah, nine or so days."

Ahead, Mat brushed his shoulders against Valens and almost made her tracker fall from her hand. On purpose I was sure.

"Then we'll walk faster," I mumbled and picked up more dirt under my shoes.

"That's alright," the voice in my head said, "You can never walk faster than me."