More

I carried a stack of heavy dishes towards the cupboard in the Ibori's kitchen

I carried a stack of heavy dishes towards the cupboard in the Ibori's kitchen. Its thin handle was beyond my occupied reach. A short figure tiptoed around my ankles and unlatched the door.

Noah looked up. His round dark eyes were pleased as he sat next to me.

"Thank you, Noah," I said and smiled down at him and put the dishes in the cupboard.

Niyah was also washing dishes and sat in the corner of the dim kitchen near the stairs with a bucket of water between her legs.

"It never ends," Niyah said and shook suds from her hands.

I thought of how Buggy and I used to wash our dishes. It made me wish I could be out in the fields instead.

Evee walked around Niyah with a bucket that overflowed with water.

"Careful," Niyah said and put her hand on the bottom of Evee's bucket to steady it, "We must keep as much water as we can for the crops. You must know the Ally's never give more than they ration."

"It really is a shame," Ocean said and dried a plate with a dingy towel as she looked out the round window of the kitchen, "All of that food out there, and how little you get to keep."

"Yes, the Ally are thieves," Niyah said and bobbed her head as she continued to wipe the dishes clean, "But our crops is not their biggest theft from this family."

"Did they add another due?" I said and sat down in a chair to gather more dishes.

"No," Niyah said with glossy eyes, "They took my eldest daughter, Dara."

Evee shifted in her seat, "But they can't do that, Niyah. Can they?"

"They knew my daughter was smart," Niyah continued and the scrubbing of her dish, "She knows her numbers well and would travel to the post for her studies. When we couldn't reach our dues, the Allies took her to work for them until we could. It was the only agreement I could bargain with those heartless beasts. It's been two years since we've seen her."

"That's terrible," Ocean said and tilted her head to the side, "When are you getting her back?"

"With your friends here," Niyah said and smiled, "I know this year we will make our dues."

Noah still sat beside me. He twirled his little fingers along the floor and whispered to himself a gentle song.

Noah was probably not even two yet. He had gone he whole life without his only sister. This wasn't okay, I couldn't just sit here washing dishes. I had to -

"Niyah," Evee said and interrupted my thoughts, "I know you asked us to be inside here helping you. But I'd like to - you know - do more."

"More?" Niyah said and crossed her hand on her lap.

"Let me go and help with the crops," Evee said and stood from her chair, "I want to help," she said, " I want to help bring Dara home."

I sunk deeper into my seat, as a hot flash of pain seared my lips where my stolen word stayed locked. Evee was doing what she always did, saving the day before I could even try.