Sisters

We packed our hay covered bags outside the bunker door and in the kitchen

We packed our hay covered bags outside the bunker door and in the kitchen. The orange sun was rising between the rocky mountains outside the windows, and its golden rays shimmered through the pale curtains. Rafi and Ray were still dressed in their plaid sleeping clothes and were filling our bags with bags of granola.

"Seventy packs?" Ray said from the pantry door.

It was more than enough, and we sure did appreciate it, but it still was more than we could carry.

"Non-sense!" Rafi shouted and cradled more packs in her arms, "If Papa were here he would giving them two mares to carry more for them."

Ray threw her head back in laughter as she opened the pantry to reach for more granola packs.

"When is your father coming home?" Ocean asked and took more granola from Rafi.

"I received a letter this morning," Rafi said and unfolded a tan piece of paper from her pocket, "Stamped on the day he left, one week ago."

"Should be any day then?" Ray said and walked closer to her sister.

"And," Rafi said and hummed with her eyes on me, "He'll have both of his girls to come home to."

A warmth blossom within my cheeks as the room stood still to watch me. It was what I was supposed to do. Rafi didn't have to make a big deal about it.

"We should go," Mat said, and peeked his eyes through the pale curtains, "It's getting too light outside."

Mat was lying, of course. The yellow sky wasn't even blue yet. He just wanted to leave if he wasn't being praised as the hero. It was just like how he played games. So predictable.

Ray had helped Valen close her bag andOcean had followed Mat out the door, to probably keep him from wandering into the woods without us. Nate was also already finished and trying helping me pack. I was the only one not ready to leave Rafy and Ray just yet.

We filed down the stairs behind the pantry and into the barn as we whispered our goodbyes to Rafi and Ray. I dragged my legs down each step when a hand settled on my back.

"Safe journey, my friend" Rafi whispered into my ear, "We'll always be grateful to have had you here."

Ray wrapped arms around my body and lifted me from the ground for a moment before joining hands with Rafi. They both look down at me with warm eyes. There were no more words needed between us. They were grateful to me and more grateful to have each other.

Sure they didn't always understand each other, and yeah sometimes they fought, but they each had a place in their family. Just in their own way.

I watched Rafi and Ray fade behind the white door of the barn as we set foot into the lush forest and back into the unknown.

Maybe having a sister was the same for everyone, I thought to myself, but a part of me still remembered not every sister is treated like one.