Match

Inseparable, like two halves cut from the same fruit they fit each other

Everywhere Ray was, Jamie, followed. Every chore she did, Jamie had to volunteer first. Ray's eyes were wide, but Rafi's were wider and as close as Ray and Jamie were, Rafi was closer behind.

It had been two months since we had arrived here and just yesterday the Allies had picked up their dues of four horses. We were finally free to leave our bunker hidden in the kitchen wall during the day. It had felt like a lifetime since we had been anywhere else.

We dressed in their loosest clothes. Nate, Ocean, and Valen stood near the stable door. Mat was in his black tank top and wheeled back and forth his piles of hay as he did every day. He seemed to like any chore that and anything to do with lifting. What a freak.

I tucked my shirt into the roomy space of my jeans and took in a deep sigh as I looked at the height of the horse chosen for me. She reddish brown with a black mane and tail.

"Ready to saddle up?" Rafi said and threw a saddle gently over the horses back.

The restless legs of my horse stomped the ground and crushed the hay beneath her feet.

"I think so," I said and swallowed a lump in my throat.

"You're going to love it!" Rafi said and struck my arm with a light touch.

I held the arm where she had struck it.

"We'll see about that," I said.

Ocean was already mounted on her gray horse and patted her on the neck.

"Such a calm horse," she said.

"That's why I choose her for you. Perfect match," Rafi said and pointed out her finger, "We all have one."

I felt myself laugh looking at my horse who was the shortest and rowdiest in the stable.

"What?" Rafi said, "You don't believe me?"

"No, it's just they're horses, you know?" I said and shrugged.

"Horses, are more like people than you would think," Rafi said.

Ray came down the stairs of the stable. Her laughter entered before she did. She was hand in hand with Jamie and stopped short of a full embrace at the sight of us.

"You are late for our lessons," Rafi said and put her hands on her hips.

"I told you," Ray said and broke her hand from Jamie, "I'm not feeling well, and there's plenty to do here."

"You look okay to me," Rafi said and tilted her nose away from Jamie.

"Come on!" Ray said and threw up her hands, "I've been riding since before I could walk."

"You know what Dad would say if he came back home and saw you here alone," Rafi said.

Ray's icy eyes turned to fire, and her fists climbed up her sides.