Stew

We all paused in the middle of the field and looked at each other, unsure if we should move

"It's our postcard," Ocean said and walked closer to the old man.

The old man removed his hat and showed his face that stretched into an inviting grin.

"Why didn't you just show me it before," he said and waved his hands into the open door.

"You also could have asked," Mat said to the old man as he passed through the door.

"I wouldn't be this gray," the old man said, "If I made it that easy to walk into my home."

The old man took the postcard from Mat's hand and reached into his pocket for a flashlight.

"Hey!" Mat said and reached back for the card.

"Can never be too sure," the old man said and shined the flashlight on the blue flame of the postcard, "Don't want any copies."

Inside the cabin there was a compact kitchen filled with many pots and jars along the wall. In the corner, a small table with dozens of dirty dishes and stacks of paper were near a window that overlooked the moon and in the next room was a cot much too roomy for just one.

"You can call me Abe," the old man continued, and stood beside a stove where a savory steam billowed, "I've got a hot stew brewing if you're hungry."

Abe walked towards the stove and stirred a ladle that rested in a black kettle.

"It's nothing like my wives," he said, "But it'll do."

Evee fiddled with papers that were stacked atop a cabinet.

"Where is your wife?" she said and looked at the empty spaces of his home.

Abe lowered his head and revealed the age spots of his bald scalp.

"Martha's been gone for years," Abe said and slowed the stir of the ladle, "The cold winter gave her a sickness the spring couldn't heal."

Evee stopped her fingers on the papers.

"I've given you enough frights for the night," Abe said with a kind-hearted grin, "And I haven't even learned your names."

Mat was the first to speak.

"A strong name for a strong-willed boy," Abe laughed, then pressed his stare to me, "What about the rest of you?"

I said my own as did the others with their own names.

"Ocean," the old man said, his brows lifted as he turned to her, "Such unique names parents are given their young ones today, or is it a nickname?"

"I do love the Ocean and fish," Ocean said.

"Well Ocean," Abe said and reached her hand for a shake, "You've about come to the perfect host. All I do is fish."

"I knew it!" Ocean said and picked up a fishing line beneath the papers.

Abe turned from the pot and filled a bowl with stew.

"First, remove your jackets and let's eat. Can't imagine you've had your fill in some time," Abe said.

We followed orders and piled our jackets together in a corner.

"What's all this?" Abe said, his eyes wide on us.

Mat slouched over the table and clutched a spoon.

"What we can't eat?" he said.

Abe cleared his throat and pointed to the scarves tied around our heads.

"Hats, can't be on at the dinner table. It's like you're ready to leave. Simple manners, that's all," Abe said.

"Abe," Evee said and looked at the rest of us, "They're not really hats."

The room was quiet, except for the bubbling of the stew on the stove. Would he still want to host us, if he knew about our marks?

We were about to find out, and all before we could have any stew.