Chapter 23

"Camila, it says the public can't enter," Lauren whined as she was dragged up metal steps by her hand. She nervously looked around as the ground became more distant. 

She didn't want security to find them and get in trouble. She had never gotten in trouble before, even in high school, although she was sure Camila's status could save them from that trouble... or most of it.

"We're students here," Camila said with a smirk, "so we're not the public. Besides, it's dark out. No one is going to see us anyway." She tugged along at the soft hand held in her own, feeling the hesitance of its owner.

"Your logic is ridiculous."

"Thanks, princess."

They reached the roof by metal steps connected to the side of the building. Camila sped up her pace to the further side of said roof because she was excited to get to it already. She smiled at the sight in front of her, feeling accomplished. She felt she did a good job because she never applied that much effort in a date before.

Lauren's eyebrows rose in surprise at the spread of fluffy blankets, large pillows, and a woven basket. It looked so cozy and exactly the dream date she had always imagined. She didn't realize the older girl could read minds. It's not like she told her she would love a rooftop picnic date or a picnic date in general. Camila kept getting better and better. Where was her downfall?

"I thought you didn't leave your bed," Lauren teased.

Camila shrugged, freeing her hand to slide it up Lauren's arm and snaking it around her lower back. She pulled her closer in a way that ended with her lips hovering close to Lauren's. And that was when she got distracted... for a solid minute. The closeness of her sent Camila spiraling into a mesmerized and stunned state. The younger girl even smelled amazing, and it made her want to stay in close proximity of her.

"I lied," Camila said with her classic smirk.

"How did you manage to get this all up here during the day when anyone could have seen you?"

"I'm a ninja, baby."

Lauren shook her head when, in reality, her heart was thrumming affectionately. She risked getting caught for her, just as she risked getting caught to be on the date.

The two took their seats relatively close to each other, leaning back on the same pillow. It was large enough to accommodate the small frame of the two, and they absolutely liked being close regardless.

"Alright, let's see what's in this basket," Camila said while clapping and rubbing her hands together. She took on an unnecessary, mischievous appearance, and that made the younger girl laugh; Camila's plan seemed to work because that beautiful noise escaping those reddened lips was her wanted reaction.

She pulled open one side and leaned over it so Lauren couldn't see the items inside. She reached in and the first thing she took out was a bottle of red wine. Lauren was unfamiliar with brands and just saw it as red alcohol.

"Trying to get me drunk, huh?" Lauren joked while leaning against Camila and resting her chin on her shoulder. Still, there was a lifted arm in her view so she was unable to see what was left inside the basket. That made her scrunch up her nose adorably in feigned annoyance.

"Depends if you're a lightweight because the percentage on this bottle is only eight."

She opened her mouth but closed it again because she was unsure if that was a lot. She didn't drink a lot, only having gone to a few parties, and her drinks were mixed in a plastic cup. She was unsure how much a percentage those were at. Then again, Dinah did mix them so probably a lot.