Chapter 9

"But really, I don't get it," Lauren ranted to Normani and Dinah.

All girls were in Normani and Dinah's dorm room, talking about a certain brown-eyed girl. Two were smirking at every word their Cuban friend said because they knew; they knew and she didn't. That realization would hit her so hard in the future.

"We were good up until the coffee shop. What the hell happened? She had barely said a word to me since then."

"Maybe she got a bad grade and is pissed about it," Dinah suggested, not helping at all because she knew it was false information. She wanted her shorter friend to figure it out herself.

Normani elbowed her side and shook her head, knowing what she was doing. She could at least help and point her in the right direction.

"That would be a terrible reason for ignoring me." Lauren ran a hand through her thick hair, flipping it to one side to get it out of her face. "Should I say something?"

"No!" both girls yelled out at once. After exchanging a glance with one another, Normani continued.

"Let her come to you, okay? She's struggling with whatever, maybe some confusing stuff, and it's best not to push it."

Lauren smiled at the girl, nodding. Even though it was short advice, it was better than Dinah would give her written single-spaced in Times New Roman for a whole page.

Right as she was about to open her mouth, a phone started to ring. It was quickly discovered that it was the phone belonging to the green-eyed girl. When she glanced at the screen and saw it was Lucy calling, she wasted no time in leaving the room for more privacy. She didn't realize that privacy would be broken by being so close to the door.

"Hey," Lauren answered, leaning back against the white wall of the hallway.

"Hey, Lauren," Lucy greeted back. "Are you doing anything tonight?"

"I'm currently with Normani and Dinah now, but I'll probably be done with them by then. Why?"

Dinah, who was listening at the door, scoffed. I'm irreplaceable, bitch, Dinah thought.

"Um, I was wondering if you wanted to do something." She suddenly grew nervous at what she was about to say next. Although it was simple, she was always like that around her crushes. "A movie. If there isn't one in theaters that you like, I could buy one, rent one, or we could watch one on Netflix or DVD." She figured the more suggestions she gave, the more prone the green-eyed girl would be to agreeing.

"A movie sounds great." Lauren smiled at the wall in front of her when, really, it was directed at the girl on the phone. A plain wall didn't compare to her colorful friend. 

"Perfect, I'll be by your dorm at six to figure it out."

"Okay, see you then."

"See you then." Lucy held in her excited jumping for when she was no longer on the phone, just in case the noise of it all would be obvious. She was merely excited to see the green-eyed girl, nothing else. She did like her and all, but she didn't expect it to be a date. She would have clarified if she wanted it to be. For now, all she could ask is to hang out in the most innocent way possible. "Bye."

Dinah managed to run back to her spot on her bed in the span of two seconds before Lauren was able to fully walk through the door. She smiled at her two friends, not knowing what was currently being brewed up in their heads.

"What did Lucy want?" Dinah asked, acting oblivious.

"She was just calling to see if I wanted to see a movie with her," Lauren answered easily. She took her seat back on the chair belonging to Normani's desk.