Episode 17: Lies

Misty and Ash swim around the area, trying to find their friends but they don't see anyone. The streets are getting quiet and street lights are on. They only have a few more minutes before the night shift soldiers come and they would be suspicious. It was quite mysterious how Paul, Dawn, and Drew suddenly disappeared even after Misty told them to be in the center of the town. They were nowhere to be seen and Misty started to get worried if they had been captured. The kingdom is not so safe anymore and Misty needs to be careful. No one offered to help Misty as they used to when they saw strangers in the streets. Instead, they hide away and not say a word.

"Do you think they had been captured, Ash? They are nowhere to be found and it is getting dark," Misty asked Ash as she scans over the empty streets one more time, hoping to catch a glimpse of their shadow.

"I am sure, Misty. They are strong and will not let things go without a fight," Ash said as he looks at Misty with a glance that holds many emotions.

"Do you think they get lost? It is getting dark. We have to get them out before the night shift soldiers take over. They have keen eyesight in the dark," Misty said as she looked at Ash with worried eyes.

"With Drew and Paul, they are going to be fine. Trust me," Ash said as he looked away and did not make eye contact with her.

Misty didn't notice that small movement because she is way too worried about May's health and the others. Waterflower Kingdom is a very safe place to be at any time but Meowth secretly told her about all the schedules and what happens in the kingdom now and it makes Misty worry. The kingdom is not a safe and happy place anymore. Instead, it is a place where danger can happen anytime and everyone has to be on guard.

Ash is looking at Misty with a guilty face before he takes a deep breath. He takes a packet of sleeping powder out of his pocket. "I am so sorry Misty. I am. I have to do this to keep my mother safe. I hope you understand me," Ash whispers to Misty, knowing that Misty can't hear her now. He never planned to fall in love with the mermaid princess. When Giovanni visits him, he knows that he can do this easily and protect his mother. He never knows that the mermaid princess will one day get his heart. His eyes follow her every movement before he takes a deep breath.

"I am very sorry Misty. Please understand me," Ash whispers before he throws the powder in her face. He caught the falling Misty before she hit the ground and put her down softly. "I am sorry that we have to meet like this. I promise you that I will leave," Ash whispers as he runs his hand through Misty's ginger locks. Misty looks so peaceful in her sleep like sleeping beauty. Ash can't help herself but kiss her softly on the lips before picking her up in bridal style.

Ash swims toward the castle of the kingdom, which is the biggest and has many more fancy decorations than the rest. The other houses look almost rundown. Ash sighs as he swims slowly. Now, he is not ready to hand over Misty. He swims as slowly as he can but he still ends up at the front gate of the castle. Ash sighs mentally before looking at one of the guards. "I am Ash Ketchum. I need to see Giovanni," Ash said in a monotone voice.

"It is King Giovanni to you. What do you need?" the guard split back.

"I brought the princess," Ash replies as he stands to his ground. The guard looks at Ash and the sleeping girl in his arms before nodding.

"Go in. The King is waiting for you," the guard said before letting Ash in. Ash holds Misty tighter towards him while keeping a blank face. It is not the time to show feelings yet.

Ash walked into the castle. Many servants look at the sleeping girl before whispering toward each other. One servant, a man with blue hair, looked at the princess before quickly swimming away. Ash doesn't look at anyone. He just stares ahead and walks toward the throne room where Drew, Dawn, and Paul are. He looks at them and they return the look. Regret and guilt. The King looks at the princess with a wide smile and the princesses look at her in disgust while the princes look at her with interest.

"I brought her to you. As promised, you have to return in May," Ash said.

"Yes. I never break a promise. However, I am afraid that I can't give her to you right now. You see, my son takes a liking to her, even though she is about to give labor for another man," Giovanni said as he looked at Ash.

"You promised to give her back. Now, where is she? I will not give you the princess if we don't get May," Ash said as he looks back at Giovanni.

Giovanni sighs as he snaps his fingers and May appears in front of them. She runs toward Drew first and gives her a great big hug. Ash looks at May and sighs before walking toward a bed that appears out of nowhere and gently lays Misty down. He looks at her one more time before looking away. He can't look.at her now.

Prince Ruby walks toward the sleeping princess must towards Ash's liking and brush a piece of hair out of her face. He smirks at the sleeping princess and leans toward her ears. "I told you I will catch you," he whispers to her ears before kissing her on the lips. "When will she wake up?" he asked Ash while standing up.

Ash looked at the prince who dared to kiss his princess. He clenches his fists. "About a day or two," Ash replies.

"Excellent! That gives us enough time to get ready, right father? I want the wedding ready on my birthday," Prince Ruby said as he looks at his father. Giovanni smiled and nodded his head while Ash was glaring at the prince. "Don't worry. I have not forgotten about you. As a thank you for bringing my princess back, I will allow you to stay and attend the wedding," Prince Ruby said toward the group.

Ash did nothing but glare at the ground. They didn't know that someone was outside the door and listening in.