Siberia Means "Layers"

Brandon and I stepped off the plane and into the freezing cold spring of Siberia. I was frozen. I can't even imagine how winter must feel out here. It was dark and gloomy and people looked cruel and angry. I stayed close to Brandon because he spoke fluent Russian to the guards of the airport. I had no clue what he was saying.

"You said it was spring!" I whispered to him and he just smiled at me as he only wore a light jacket.

"It is spring." He said and I just glared at him as we continued to walk.

"You speak Russian?" I asked breaking the silence.

"Yea, the private school I went to taught it." He said.

"I know some french." I shrugged and he chuckled as he grabbed our bags. We had a backpack each because we weren't supposed to stay in a hotel for very long. We had to find my grandmother and leave. It wasn't safe here. Landon was following us but he stayed out of sight. We stayed at a small hotel the first night. It was a one bedroom with a small desk and a fuzzy TV, there was a small bathroom as well.

As I crawled into bed I looked up at the ceiling as Brandon attempted to fix the TV.

"Honestly?" He sighed to himself as the picture did not change. The TV was so fuzzy but you could here the sound fine. He wore nothing but pants, which was actually a nice sight. He went to the small window and pulled back the curtains.

"A blizzard, in spring...never thought I'd see the day." He said while shaking his head. He left the TV and window and came to lay in bed next to me. 

I stared at the TV hard, everything left my mind I just stared. Finally the TV began to flicker and it came on in a crisp and clear picture. My jaw dropped slightly at what I had done but I then smiled and leaned back.

"What the hell?" Brandon asked while sitting up. He looked outside and then back to me and I shrugged and looked the other way. I heard him scoff disbelieved and he laid back beside me and went through the channels that now worked. 

I stared at the door when I saw a shadow move from the corner of my eye. I looked over at the side of the window and it moved again. I looked up and I froze.

A large...very large demon laid on the ceiling. His wings didn't fit across the whole ceiling they bent and reached down to the walls, he was much more larger than my father and past grandfathers. His teeth looked more threatening. I clutched the blankets tighter my knuckles going white. The demon just stared at me. He made no facial movements...nothing.

"Beverly?" I heard Brandon calling from out of my trance. His hand touched mine and my body came back. Heat finally flushed through me and I let the blankets go.

"Are you alright?" He asked, a worried expression crossing his face. I looked back at the ceiling and the demon was gone.

"Just tired..." I said turning on my side closer to him and shutting my eyes.

----

We left early the next morning and began asking around for a fortune teller.Most called her the "Woman of the Past" or "The Immortal". They said she resided in the abandoned part of town that would take about a day to get there.

We walked outside and I had on a winter jacket, gloves and a hat and I was freezing. Brandon wore the same thing but I never saw him shiver once. Even his breath didn't leave a cloud like mine did.

After two hours I was shivering like crazy, my nose was probably red, my toes were ice and my hands were numb.

"B-Brandon...c-c-can we...t-t-t-take a....b-break?" I said my teeth chattering loud against each other.

"Jesus Christ, Beverly you should have put on more layers." He cursed. We were in a small abandoned town. Next to an abandoned store. He broke the lock and brought me in and he built a small fire in the middle of the convenience store. He shrugged off his jacket and he wore just a t-shirt, he looked and acted like it was a regular warm day out. He pulled off my jacket along with my shoes and gloves and hat and grabbed a heated blanket that was in his duffel bag. He sat on the ground and I sat down too and he lifted me easily and made me sit in his lap where he wrapped his arms tightly around me with the blanket over me.

"W-What...a-a-are y-you...d-doing?" I chattered.

"Werewolves have high temperatures, we don't get cold. I could walk outside with no jacket on but I would draw attention." He explained.

"M-Must be n-nice." I said beginning to feel a bit of movement in my hands and toes.

After a while, he grabbed my bag and made me wear the three pairs of jeans I brought, plus making me shove paper towels down my pants for insulation, he put on all the long sleeves I had plus the two sweaters with more insulation of paper towels, then he put on my hat and tied the two strings and put more paper towels inside of my hat and scarf, then again in my boots and gloves.

"Brandon." I said as I stood and couldn't move my arms down.

"What?" He asked while putting his bag over his shoulder and looking at me.

"I look like the Michelin Man."

"I'll carry your bag." He said with a smile. He put more paper towels in my empty bag plus some snacks and drinks because of our little stop we were behind.

We walked again and Brandon kept his arm around me and I was finally warm for once.

We walked through feet of snow and around trees and sometimes came across foxes where Brandon shifted or growled and they would run off. Yes I felt bad for the foxes but it was a rush and almost a turn on seeing his muscles tense and flex when he shifted to a werewolf and back.

Finally, it was nightfall and Brandon said it was too dangerous to be out here during the night. We came across a small inn and as Brandon talked to the owner I glanced around. Ever since we came into the woods I felt tense...like something bad would happen. As I looked into a dark corner my father appeared.

"Don't make everyone see me." He commanded. His expression was tragic, worried almost scared.

"What's wrong?" I asked. People began to look at me so I pulled out my phone which I wasn't supposed to have.

"Someone is after you. Not the Spurs...something else is coming to kill you. We are trying to figure it out but you must be careful. Be on your toes. Once you reach your grandmother she will teach you how to use dead demons to fight for you. She knows you are coming since we all went to her. Be careful my darling." He said and I nodded and then he vanished.

"You okay?" Brandon asked.

"Yea...wrong number." I said.

"No phones." He said seriously taking my phone and taking out the battery. I didn't protest and we went upstairs. I began to take off my layers starting with my jacket and taking out all the paper towels and jeans and sweaters.

I was cautious as I looked around the room.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Brandon asked.

"Peachy." I said plastering a fake smile on my face.

---------------

I had a bad nights' sleep.It was full of tossing and turning until one o'clock when Brandon pulled me closely to him and his warmth and delicious scent calmed my nerves and I fell asleep.

In the morning I insulated again and we set off in the woods.

Finally we came to a small cabin. It was small about the look of a bedroom size.

"This is it." He said nodding towards the cabin.

"Let's go." I said as we knocked on the door.