15: Why do flashbacks hurts?

Kyle's eyes grew wide at my words. He opened and closed his mouth resembling a fish out of water then finally he found his voice, "You don't have to if you don't want to."

My heart warmed at his sentence. But I can't back out now. "I want to." I nodded my head at him and he gave me a small nod of his in response. Kyle patiently waited for me to start.

I exhaled audibly and started. "Lucas and I went to same high school, Dale high school." My throat clogged up and I paused before drawing in a deep breath. I kept my eyes down on the floor as I felt Kyle intense eyes staring right at me. I breathed in deeply again and continued, "He was a year above me. I was in my junior year and he was my senior. We were neighbours when we were kids, he was my crush since then, Lucas had that charming persona which any girl couldn't ignore. I regarded him as my prince charming." I let out a bitter laugh after the last two words escaped my lips.

Kyle was silent, he didn't utter a word, listening and taking in everything I was saying so without any further delay, I continued, "But we shifted when i turned 11 after that i eventually forgot about him to be honest but life works in a twisted way as I ended up going to the same high school that he goes to." I smiled reliving that day, when I saw Lucas in school for the first time.

God, how happy I was to see him again.

"So it was obvious that my feelings for him developed again, he recognised me and we grew very close, I regarded him as more than a friend or that's what I took him as if not a lover." I swallowed the bile that rose to my throat, my hands were clasped tightly together. "I thought he liked me too but God, I was so wrong." I bit my lip as I felt my eyes prick with tears at the memory.

Rose, you can't cry now. You won't cry. I chanted this over and over again in my head.

I felt a hand wrapped around my clasped hands but I was too scared to look at him, too scared that if I look at him I will burst into tears.

Kyle's hands were warm, emitting his warm from his hands on mine and I felt myself relax at his touch. He had shifted from his bed to mine and sat beside me, so close to me.

Taking his closeness as my source of energy, I continued, " Lucas' had graduated from high school and before he went off to college he threw a party at his place, almost all the students from our school came. I went too, along with my two best friends who by the way were encouraging me to confess my feelings to Lucas. I gave in to their demand and decided to confess to Lucas." I wet my lips, and felt my slightly chapped lips before going on with my narration, Kyle's hand still on mine.

The party was going on full swing, students were scattered everywhere, in every nook and corner. It was almost two hours since I came to the party along with Dalia and Lily.

I didn't get a chance to talk with Lucas in private, whenever I pull him away from his friends and start talking someone always interrupted us and will take him away.

I huffed annoyed at the situation I was in- not able to talk with Lucas, and also with the drunk people dancing, reeking of sweat and alcohol.

"Don't think too much about it. It will work in your favour." Dalia rubbed my shoulders in a soothing way and I was thankful for that.

I gave her a timid smile in response.

"If he doesn't reciprocate your feelings then leave him to Dalia and me, we will handle him like Toby- The small pee-pee." Lily smirked.

At Lily's words, both Dalia and I started laughing. The memory of Toby- the small pee-pee incident still fresh on my mine.

Toby was a guy we went too in middle school, Dalia and Lily were my friends since then. Toby had a crush on me and he had asked me out but i rejected him not because I didn't like him but because i was naive and ignorant in the whole relationship department while most of my classmates were already into one.